Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used sx3 from gunbroker. Came in today and had to shoot it asap. Shooting heavy dove load, sometimes it would eject the spent shell, sometimes it wouldn’t. Shooting 3” Kent Fasteel it cycled fine but blew powder back in my face. Took it apart and man was it filthy. Like never been cleaned in 10 years dirty… Would this cause the powder blowback? Or is there something else I need to look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Just bought a used sx3 from gunbroker. Came in today and had to shoot it asap. Shooting heavy dove load, sometimes it would eject the spent shell, sometimes it wouldn’t. Shooting 3” Kent Fasteel it cycled fine but blew powder back in my face. Took it apart and man was it filthy. Like never been cleaned in 10 years dirty… Would this cause the powder blowback? Or is there something else I need to look at?

bolt might not be locking as it should....never had powder flash from a shotty

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bolt might not be locking as it should....never had powder flash from a shotty
Are you saying it’s not locking all the way forward? Would it still fire if not locked? When shooting the dove loads, the bolt wouldn’t come all the way back and eject the shell. But it did cycle the 3” loads fine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just completely took it apart. Man what a mess. Looked like it hadn’t been cleaned since someone took it out of the box. I’ll put more rounds thru it tomorrow to see if it’s any better. Only thing I didn’t check was the recoil spring. The gas piston, forearm and mag tube were so caked with burnt carbon, I had to take a wire brush to it to get it off. Let it soak in engine degreaser and it cleaned up pretty nice.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Been waiting to hear how it went?

I've had my SX3 about 8 years and only clean it after the season. I have never ever and I mean NEVER EVER had a miss fire or a stove pipe or a problem of any kind with the gun. It is so easy to clean. To say I love my SX3 would be an understatement.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Keep them clean. They will function flawlessly season after season.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After I cleaned it real good, it fired and cycled much better. Still wasn’t able o check the recoil spring. Currently it’s at the local gun shop getting hydro dipped in bottomland. While they have it, they will go thru it and check everything out.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
I agree with NW's suggestion. If a gas gun is having cycling issues, the second place I'd look is the recoil spring, tube, and follower.

BTW, what is a "shotty"?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts