Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Canada geese eat in disked soybean fields? We lease 4 fields 2 corn and 2 soybean. all of them disked. We have been hunting the corn fields all year and the birds are very wary of us now.

We can also hunt on a golf course with a pond and a corn field right next to it. but...........its about a 1/2 mile walk and we dont have any way of getting birds if they go in the water.

Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
25,342 Posts
We hunted a disked soybean field. The geese really didn't want to land. It looked like a giant mud field. When there was snow on the ground, my hunting partners hammered them.

The only times I got out, we were looking at bare dirt. The geese would hang up about 100 yards out and I'm pretty sure they were thinking "why are you geese eating mud?" Then they would bug out. I'm talking about a lot of geese, coming from a pretty good distance and then just hanging up at the same point. They would check us out and then moving on.

Normally, you would think there is something wrong with the decoys or the spread or something, but when there was snow on the ground, they divebombed the spread. I really think it was the fact that there are tons of cornfields around, and this field looked barren. It just didn't add up in their little goose brains.

I think we landed 3 singles and 2 of those landed long. When there was snow on the ground they shot 30 - 40 geese. We shot 3 flyovers and the one single.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Spinnerman is right; you'll slay 'em in bean fields when there's snow on the ground, because they can't tell the difference between corn and beans at that point. Well, you'll slay them relative to not slaying them in a bean field at other times of the year. Even in deep chiseled corn fields, we've had trouble with birds committing because we were hunting next to a field that wasn't deep chiseled. I can't say that they could tell the difference between the fields, or that they may have been just used to going to that other field, but there's a reason why they fed in that other field (lightly chiseled) compared to the one we hunted in (deep chiseled). With all of that said, I'd only hunt chiseled beans if you're next to a field they want to be in, or if it's going to be a crappy day with precipitation and such.

·
Registered
679 Posts
1 other thing- I saw a pair of geese land in chiseled beans 3 days ago to feed. Go figure, the season is over and they're using it! They weren't a pair that broke off of a larger group and there wasn't geese on the ground in that field or in that area at all. They flew there like they knew where they were going! :huh:

·
Registered
128 Posts
both are a method of cultivation. Disking is done with an implement with rows of vertical disks that are angled and slice open the ground. Chisleing is a deeper method of cultivation and is done with "shanks" that extend into the ground and "rip" it open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.