Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my dad had us name this dish when we were kids so that's where it got its name. now you can make this a zillion different ways, but this is how i made it tonight.

ingredients:
soy sauce
worchestershire sauce
olive oil (or any cooking oil)
teriyaki (optional)

duck cut into strips spinkled with garlic powder

some sort of noodle or rice. in all honesty this goes good with everything from white rice to alfredo noodles :thumbsup: this time i chose

also if you want to cut up some celery/mushrooms/water chestnut/etc. etc. feel free to toss it in too. mushrooms are pretty good but i didnt have any :thumbsdown:

anyways cook the rice/noodles per instructions on the bag.

in a pan mix equal parts of the wet ingredients over high heat

as soon as the liquids warm turn to medium heat and add duck/mushrooms/whatever else and cook until the meat just starts to turn grey and the blood comes to the top (cooking times will vary depending on thickness of the meat and the temp)

then go ahead and turn the meat over and cook for about another minute or so. i like my duck cooked a little less than medium so this works for me. feel free to keep it on there if you like it a little more well done.

then all you do is put the duck on the rice/noodles/whatever and you are good to go :thumbsup:

takes less than 15 minutes to do and you can cook as much or little as you want. my dad used to also make a gravy out of the liquids and corn starch and just serve it all over white rice. he also put in celery and when the celery is soft, your duck is cooked :thumbsup:

·
Registered
923 Posts
looks dayum good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Since i posted last i have done this twice. It was fantastic. The first time i didnt have any water chestnuts so i substituted it with brocoli. The second time i still didnt have any water chestnuts so i used esparugaas and mushrooms. I put it over brown rice. It was the best. I did make gravy as well. The second time i added some chilli powder to give it some kick. I am hooked for life. The best part about this recipe is that you can modify and change it and it still turns out great.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
captain, I'm sure they already knew

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I love those Lipton sides, they are quick and decent. Hint if you really want to make the Rice awesome. Throw the rice in the pan,add little teriyaki and a fresh egg, and stir it around for a few min.

BTW: Does it not come out salty, but then again your not marinating or using lots of the stuff.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I realize this is an older thread but really close to what I had in mind for cooking some goose. I am new to cooking, however I got a few questions I figure might be worth posting up for others to see.

1. Will this work with goose?

2. Alot of asian and some cajun fast food resturants offer flavored chicken like general tso's or bbq, etc. How can I modify the recipe to cook up with my favorite BBQ sauce?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
NCSUTACOMA said:
I realize this is an older thread but really close to what I had in mind for cooking some goose. I am new to cooking, however I got a few questions I figure might be worth posting up for others to see.

1. Will this work with goose?
Good on ya - some basic cooking skills take you a long way. no reson this shouldnt work for goose - my advice is to follow a recipe to start - expand or change things up after that.

2. Alot of asian and some cajun fast food resturants offer flavored chicken like general tso's or bbq, etc. How can I modify the recipe to cook up with my favorite BBQ sauce?
General Tso's is not far from teriyaki ingredient wise - but BBQ sauce is a bit more complex, and thicker. If you truly like the flavors of BBQ, consider a couple things. Actually BBQ - for most game I split BBQ sauce(esp an apple based or bourbon based sauce) with equal parts apple cider vinegar and use as a marinade for 1 hr to 6 hr. Then i use a dry rub and grill the cut of meat. Low and slow is the key, indirect heat is best and in the final 10 minutes or so, baste with the sauce.
If skillet is more your speed, thin a BBQ sauce with some water and braise your goose in the sauce and water mix. IN this case I would start by sauteeing some onion and garlic - maybe a some jalapeno for kick, sear the meat on both sides and then add sauce and water, braising in a covered pan.
Don't mean to hijack - try it JJ's way first - then expand as i said before.
-Erik

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey i forgot i even posted this. yes it works great with geese also. also like i said in the beginning, this is just like a starter to get you going. modify it however you want to make it your own. heck you can throw some bbq sauce in there maybe to get that flavor. i think i would do it though maybe right before it was done, so the bbq doesnt burn... i havent tried it yet, although i was thinking about it the other day, but the jack daniels bbq sauce is awesome and i put it on everything

·
Registered
39 Posts
this is very good, except i put soy sauce, worcestershire sauce and my duck or goose in a zip lock back and sprinkle kinda heavy with that monteral steak seasoning from McCormick let that set in the refrifgerator all night and all day sometimes. cook it up like described above man its G U D!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.