Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I was wondering if any of you guys heard of DJ Illinois River Valley Calls. They originally worked for Olt calls. They were up at a local Gander Mountain demonstrating and their calls sounded great. You can visit their site at www.djcalls.com. Tell me guys what your opinion is before I buy some.

·
Registered
38 Posts
IMO- they are trying to live off what PS OLT started
the old PS calls- are ok- people just get them now for collecting.
if you want a PS call- go on ebay and get an origninal.

I wouldn't spend the $30-$40 they want for some of their calls.

Go with RNT, FOILES, etc. - go with acrylic- it'll last a lifetime.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would still go with the PS Olt calls. Alls DJ CALLS are doing is trying to copy everyone of Olts calls But I guess most companys did the same too. Nothing is still as good as D-2 Keyhole. There is obviously a reason why alot of guides are still using them!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
David Jackson worked for Olt for 27 years. He modified the hard rubber key hole tonal plug of the call I use. It is not much for comp calling but it is a dominant hen mallard. In fact it is a great hen mallard caller.

The Sonderman fellow with David also worked for Olt for almost 20 years. He also knows what he is doing.

Both Mr. Jim Olt, Sr. and Jim, Jr. have been really nice to me and I blow a key hole D2 exclusively. They went overboard to help me when no one could get a D2 Key Hole. Jim Jr. even sent me a real Olt box and ball cap.

That said, David is a good call maker and a good man. I blew one of his calls today and it was good. You are cheating yourself if you listen interner babble and don't try a DJ. They may be copies but they are copied from the greatest series of Meat-calling style goose and duck callers ever made.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a couple of DJ calls that are supposed to be OLT DR-115 replacements. They don't sound the same. The newer OLT DR-115s don't sound like the older ones. I don't know what it is, but I think the newer reeds are thinner. I hunt with a guy who uses a 30 year old or so OLT DR-115. He has tried the newer ones 5 -15 years old and can not get the same tone out of them. FYI

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I normally blow an RNT short barrel. however, when my call went down a week before duck season and i needed a new one FAST (and not for 80+ bucks) i went looking for an OLT 66. a good friend and hunting partner has one and i have heard it in action and blown it a few times. when i was unable to find one for less that 70 bucks (damn ebay collectors!!!) i was directed tot eh DJ Illinois River website and found the Sonderman 66 for 27.99. skeptical..i hesitantly placed the order as i was desperate for a call and didn't want to experiment.

long story short..duck season has ended and the Sonderman is still on my lanyard while the Short Barrel sits on my workbench where it has all season waiting to be sent back to RNT for repair.

Felsenthal said it best in his post.. so i'll just echo him. "You are cheating yourself if you listen internet babble and don't try a DJ. They may be copies but they are copied from the greatest series of Meat-calling style goose and duck callers ever made."

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
not sure...i was "warming up" a few weeks before the season and all of sudden the next "note" flattened out and got a metallic ringing to it. at first i thought maybe the reed had split, but it looked ok...cork looked ok too. admittedly, i don't know much about calls other than how to use them to kill ducks. so i may be missing something very simple and obvious. i know that RNT has awesome customer service and i do intend to send it back them in hopes that they can figure out what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tmoney said:
IMO- they are trying to live off what PS OLT started
the old PS calls- are ok- people just get them now for collecting.
if you want a PS call- go on ebay and get an origninal.

I wouldn't spend the $30-$40 they want for some of their calls.

Go with RNT, FOILES, etc. - go with acrylic- it'll last a lifetime.
This is David from DJ Calls I worked for the Olts for 27 years and made thousands of calls that thousands of hunters are using today. The Olt co started in business in 1904, talk about calls lasting a life time!! Yes I'm making calls like the Olts but that is what I was taught for all those years. Olts was the first to make the Arkansas style call in 1900 I think everyone else copied. After 1950 when Mr. Olt was killed in a car accident Al Sonderman was the major call designer for the Olt Co. untill 1983 when he passed away. Al was the one who taught me how to make calls. All I'm trying to do is carry on a waterfowl tradition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dgquail said:
I bought a couple of DJ calls that are supposed to be OLT DR-115 replacements. They don't sound the same. The newer OLT DR-115s don't sound like the older ones. I don't know what it is, but I think the newer reeds are thinner. I hunt with a guy who uses a 30 year old or so OLT DR-115. He has tried the newer ones 5 -15 years old and can not get the same tone out of them. FYI
Yes you are right the newer calls do not soung the same as the older ones. The vinyl we get for the reeds does not have the tensel strength that the olres calls had. Thus the newer Olts and mine the DJ calls will not sound as good as the 20-30 year old calls. If I could get the reed material as the older ones had I wood. We are at the mercy of the reed material company, they give what they have take it or leave it!! David.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
David,

:welcome:

welcome to the site!! i hope you stick around and impart some of your vast knowledge to us here at Duck Hunting Chat (aka DHC).

as you may have seen from my last posts. i am a believer in your calls and a happy customer. i'd just like to let you know that your product is great and the service from your website was as good as one can hope for.

(i hope this doesn't come off like an advertisement, just wanted to take the opportunity to tell the head honcho he had a good thing going. )

thanks, and hope to see you around the board.

:salude:

-Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.