Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was looking to buy some used herters bluebill decoys but couldnt find any so I thought about maybe trying to make my own. I did a little research online and it seems that buying a mold and then using Eurethane foam would be the best way to go about making them. I figured I would just buy the heads instead of going through the trouble of making them too. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions and if anyone new of a supplier local to the raliegh area were I could buy the Eurethane foam. Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
508 Posts
My do-it-yourself blackhead decoys are simply crab pot buoys and painted clorox bottles. Not much to look at, but you'd be surprise how well they work.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not see a "mid-weight" foam on their website. I imagine you mean like the 3lb or the 4lb density? Do you have any idea how many decoys the 4lb kit will make. I am just trying to decide how much it will cost per decoy. Any info or pictures you have would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am no decoy expert, but I do use the urethane foam extensively in my taxidermy business. The 4lb IMO, is too soft to make a decoy out of...unless you plan on burlapping it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
3" roofing insulation?.....Is that foam... What does is the cost per decoy. Basically, are the savings worth the effort?

Yes. Actually it was some that we had laying around. Carved it up, made a keel, wrapped it in burlap and we are about to start painting. Then we will get some herters heads.

I know plent of people that use old crabpot buoys or milk jugs too. This is an inexpensive way to make divers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
just to make ourselves clear.. the 3" foam was glued together using liquid nails to give you a "block" 6" tall. I had the foam that was left over from a construction project we had going on. If you can catch a building going up that uses metal roof panels and panel insulation, I guarantee you can find some laying around that no-one needs anymore. 1 sheet will make 8-12 decoys depending on what size your blocks are. If you cant find any on a construction site, lowes has the foam for $22 per sheet. So if you spend $22 on foam, $10-12 in burlap, and another $20 in tile mastic, you are looking at (for 10 decoys) $52 total/10 blocks= $5.20 per decoy plus $3 per head.. so a total of $8.20 per decoy. BUT.. they are really fun to build yourself, they will NOT sink, stray shot wont hurt them, and I think its gonna be pretty satisfying to kill ducks over decoys you made yourself. Just my two cents..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just wanted to say that you can buy painted herters bluebill decoy heads. They have them online at cabelas. Just go to the ones that say painted heads. It shows you a picture of a mallard head but when you go to order them it gives you a choice of what type of head you want and bluebill is a choice. Try that out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts