·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you guys shoot hens?

·
Registered
222 Posts
actually in the long run you are killing way more than just 3 birds. i almost never intentionally shoot one...some places we hunt, just having 10 mallards come in is concidered good, so needless to say we shoot them there. it can sometimes be tough pickin them out of a flock of divers that fly through at 60 miles an hour :yes:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
yeah, i shoot hens. if they are part of the bag limit. i don't agree with the 3 bird concept. there is nothing that guarantees that a hen is going to have 3 or more birds as offspring. if that was the case, the population would never be in question. i could be wrong but the DNR folks are a lot better educated/informed about this when they set limits, etc. so if they are part of the limit then they are fair game.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I just must not be as lucky as yall, 'cause I dont really get to choose. I'm lucky if I get some to pass by, Im gonna take 'em or her! :cool:

-Stouff

·
Registered
592 Posts
I dont if i dont have to. If its one of those nothings working days and i get a shot at one ill take it but usually i wont. its just a tradition to not shoot the hens. plus the drakes look prettier

·
Registered
163 Posts
I guess it would have to matter. If it's a real slow day and thats about the only thing that comes in...HECK YA, I'll bust it but if it's a good day and there are plenty of drakes flying around then probably not but more than likely I still will because I get excited and will end up just shotting one just for fun.... :yes: But I try not to I guess!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
i was once at the duck camp and me and my buddies were all talkin and got on the subject on the drakes lookin prettier and how in the animal kingdom all the males are the prettier ones. Like the lion, all birds, and ect. and we found it intresting that in the human world its the complete opposite. the females are usually the prettier ones not the males.

i just wanna know... how come we got screwed? :toofunny:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol! i dunno.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.