Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was reading the harvest report from last year in my state and was suprised to see how many shovelers were taken. Do any of you guys shoot them? I mean on purpose. I have seen a lot earlier in Oklahoma but I never shot one. I wouldn't think they are very good to eat.

·
Registered
450 Posts
here in az i shoot what i can get.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Never seen one to shoot and I don't think we have them around here though I may be wrong. Would probably hunt them if they were here.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
on opener last year, i was canoeing a friend of mine aroung the marsh, and saw one. i pretended to get all excited,cuz i was in the front of the canoe and going around some vegetation. i said" Mallard-shoot!shoot!" the canoe drifted forward and jim blows it away. oops-one against your limit,old chum. :laughing:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm with bgoldhunter. I shot one years ago and it tasted like crap. I never have shot one again. I'm not looking down at anyone that does so don't anyone get that idea. I was just suprised to see how many were harvested. Like bgoldhunter said it counts in my limit so I just don't.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I haven't been shooting them the past couple of years. I have no problem with anybody shooting them. I don't particularly enjoy eating them. They have a bad reputation as not being a premium bird out here in California. But they splash when they fall, just like the rest. I have had a lot of fun shooting them for years at my old club.

·
Registered
899 Posts
As a rule in our group, it's usually the rookie that shoots. Everybody else will tell the rook that it's his turn, go ahead and take as many as you can out of this group! Call it rookie hazing!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would, but we dont see them very often here in New England. I have seen a few but only in the springtime.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.