Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is right around the corner, and the ice is starting to come off the lake's in Iowa a little bit. Time to get the dog back out to the lake for some serious jumping! How many of you have dog's that love to leap into the water. I remember when I taught mine to go off the dock he did'nt want no part of jumping off that perfectly fine structure, now he think's your nut's when your ready to go home. My lab is no where near close to the record, wich was just broken by a border collie I think by 2 feet wich has to bring it up around the 30' mark (what a sad day for lab's :laughing: ) but he still love's crashing the water to get his tennis ball. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
i'm curious how you taught him to jump off the dock. my lab will go and retrieve about anything but if i have him on the dock he'll run to shore and take a longer swim. Instead of just jumping off the dock to retrieve. not that he needs to jump off the dock i just figured it'd be fun for the both of us.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My lab can't get enough of the big air jumps. If we're in a platform blind he actually jumps up and out. It's hilarious to see. He has always done that from the start. He learned in a pool and just jumped from the side.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
my big chocolate lab loves to jump in too. so much so, he refuses to enter the water any other way. he did it from the start also. i think it's just their personality. they either have it or they don't. i had a female that wouldn't even consider jumping off of anything. she had to "walk" into the water. you should see the splash that fat boy makes too. it gives a new definition to the term canonball.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I taught my lab, we started on a short dock very low to the water, I threw the ball off the end a few feet, his back leg's were pushing him out but his front one's were holding him back. I stood behind him and would not let him get by me when he tried. he eventually did some sort of god awful leap into the water, it was hillarious. I would not do this to a young dog in training though it could turn him off, and don;t push the poor soul in either :smile: . Before long he was making great leap's into the water, never have measured it, his father also love's dock jumping, the bigger the wave's the better for him. Don,t push em, and make it fun for both of you, and before long you'll have all kind's of boater's stopping and looking in amazement. [/quote]

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Mine jumps off my dock at Lake of the Ozarks. I got her to jump by jumping myself. I threw in a ball or something and then got her really fired up about getting it. Then I jumped in after it and when I came up she was swimming after the ball. Just make sure you swim far enough away from the dog, so it doesnt swim after you and give you some nice claw marks on the chest.
My dog doesn't jump like crazy or anything but she will make some four to five foot jumps probably.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i entered my 11 month old pup in the big air contest at the international sportmans show back in jan.

it was her first time in comp and we enetered to see what she would do. she did really well. we won the jr division with a jump of 14ft 7 inches.

so you have some perspective the world recoprds holding boarder collie was theer and he set a new record of 21 feet 2 in.

the all time record holder is a lab named little morgan that jumped 26-4 at the espy games in 2002.

your dog should be able to jump at least 19 feet minimum to be competitive.

that is where the base of the tail or hits the water. another group goes by back feet. they are about the same give or take.

lot of fun.

this is her practicing at my pool when she was 5 mths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.