Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Brittany that wasn't a great pointer when we bought him, but through paitience I have got him to point and hold to an extent. He'll retrieve anything you shoot and loves water, so I use him as a duck dog. When I make him lay still in a field, he acts like I am nuts and it looks like he thinks we should be quail hunting. Never had this problem when hunting water. If I make him lay still with us in a field, will that ruin him from quail hunting?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
507 Posts
I am not an expert, but I think after awhile the dog would know what you are hunting for. Or maybe just leave em in the truck when you hunt out of a field.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My lab is a duck/upland dog. If we're hauling decoys and she can smell the marsh, she knows what we're doing. But if we are just walking through feild after feild she knows that she's supposed to run ahead and point the birds.. After a while she/he will get the hang of it.. One time we were out duck hunting and this nice rooster flew over the dike behind me about 45 yards off... I slipped in a goose load and droped him dead in his tracks... My dog saw it fall and when she went to go retreive it she walked right past it, she was looking for the duck... Finaly she picked up the sent and brought it back with a confused look in her eye.. :toofunny:

Mallyard

·
Registered
961 Posts
i am the same as mallyard i own a pointing lab and they cauch on really quick. dogs are very smart they know what is going on. i mean if you are out just jumping pounds then they might tend to hunt out in frount but that dosen't bother me and some times if you are lucky you can be walking out to a pound and get a point on a covey of quil or two.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK i would teach him ( whoa) you can use the whoa on upland and water fowl and the down would be good for field,,,,,

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
not at all! some dogs just have problems with sitting still or they are bored with not enough action. Our dog loves to sit in the field then at nine get up and chase pheasants or with ducks she loves the marsh then when time comes we get up and she runs ahead after pheasants

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the dog out today. Started quail hunting. We finally got into them and he was all about it. We put a shock collar on him and at the first spot it took 2 buzzes and he never ran off all day. We busted a big covey at the second spot. He pointed singles and retrieved the 5 we shot.

We decided to give him a break and jump some ponds for ducks. First pond three of us shot 12 gaddies. He retrieved the 11 we saw on the water and walked into a field and got one more. Jumped another pond and he dog paddled for 5 minutes chasing a cripple. Finally got it and sat on the bank waiting on the other cripple to surface (we were out of shells). Took him about 5 minutes to finally grab that one too.

Last pond had 15-20 canadas on it. We shot 3 of them. He tried to get them, but he jsut wasn't big enough. It is fummy how just putting a shock collar around his neck, even if you had no intent on using it sent him from a lap dog to a good bird dog. Can't wait for next weekend.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a Pudlepointer (the grandfather of the versitle breeds) He hunts both upland an ducks very well. I know the look you talk about he would much rather run and try to find birds with his nose but he will sit for ducks. your dog should have no problem figuring out what he is hunting for. Just take him alot. I tell my wife I have to hunt 4 days a week for the dog so he learns. works so far!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
It is fummy how just putting a shock collar around his neck said:
Mine is the same way when she starts to kina drift off every couple of months even around house I put hat collar on and she is a new dog or at leaset pays more attention to what she is doing.

Glad yours is coming along.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts