Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Brittany that wasn't a great pointer when we bought him, but through paitience I have got him to point and hold to an extent. He'll retrieve anything you shoot and loves water, so I use him as a duck dog. When I make him lay still in a field, he acts like I am nuts and it looks like he thinks we should be quail hunting. Never had this problem when hunting water. If I make him lay still with us in a field, will that ruin him from quail hunting?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the dog out today. Started quail hunting. We finally got into them and he was all about it. We put a shock collar on him and at the first spot it took 2 buzzes and he never ran off all day. We busted a big covey at the second spot. He pointed singles and retrieved the 5 we shot.

We decided to give him a break and jump some ponds for ducks. First pond three of us shot 12 gaddies. He retrieved the 11 we saw on the water and walked into a field and got one more. Jumped another pond and he dog paddled for 5 minutes chasing a cripple. Finally got it and sat on the bank waiting on the other cripple to surface (we were out of shells). Took him about 5 minutes to finally grab that one too.

Last pond had 15-20 canadas on it. We shot 3 of them. He tried to get them, but he jsut wasn't big enough. It is fummy how just putting a shock collar around his neck, even if you had no intent on using it sent him from a lap dog to a good bird dog. Can't wait for next weekend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.