Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok what I would like to know is does it matter what kind of decoys ie; Mallards,Wood ducks,Pintails ect.
Or will one kind be ok,say mallards.

When I'm back at our ponds,the biggest being 1 acres in size. I often see 3-4 different breeds of ducks on them at the same time.
So if I would buy say a dozen mallards would that be ok and attract all ducks or would I need to mix in some Ring-Neck Ducks,Pintails ect. to dralw them in.

I see several kinds there but its hit and miss.Mostly see Mallards,Wood Ducks and Ring-Necked Ducks.Occassionally some Pintails and Redhead Ducks and and once in a blue moon some teal.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Sounds like you have an awsome setup...Start out with a dozen mallards, then add on. Try to mimick what you see your birds doing. If your working flocks are 5-8 birds, you probably will do ok with a dozen or less decoys. If your flocks are bigger, you'll need more decoys. I hunt small impounds, and, rarely use over a dozen mallards with a small family pod of 4 teal off to the side, so as the ducks will hopefully land between the two groups...a VERY effective setup in my area. Instead of teal you may want to use a small family pod of divers off to the side, or, a couple pintails. I killed many ducks earlier in the season using 3 decoys. 2 drakes 1 hen mallard. Later in the season the birds bunched up more...thus, used more decoys. Also, if you walk in, you may want to use water keels, as they are lighter. Now then, when ya bust ya some....let know how ya did it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok Thanks Guys!
I rarely see over 20 birds at a time there. The ponds,5 of them are all in a area that covers about 50 acres.

Now geese is a different story! I see sometimes over 200 Canadas and every once in a great while a few Snows. But they seem to stay in the meadows eating grass. But sometimes are on the ponds in numbers of usually 20 or less.
I have nests at every pond and they should be hatching in a week or two.
these geese never leave the area to my knowledge they are here year around. The are here a week or so then move a mile or two to another farm or farms then back again.
These geese ain't even afraid of you very much. i can get within 25yds. before they bump out about 100yds. (bet that changes when I go to blastin them) LOL

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
In Mississippi we have an early season just for resident geese. If y'all do as well...pattern them suckers and bust em. You will generally need more decoys for geese, but, in your situation, a dozen harbodies and few homemade rags will probably put em in your face. Dont burn em to bad, and, they'll come back :thumbsup: Y'all have a nice day! :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks! We do have a early season and your allowed 5 Canadas per day.
It usually comes in Sept 1st and runs about 3 weeks. Then a reg. season and a late season which your allowed 3 per day.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You've got a set up most guys would almost give up thier spouses for.

You are on the right track thinking about numbers and what you've seen. IMO early season all the types you mentioned should work to mallard blocks. Later, especially Pins, you should add 1 or 2 bulls as the sprig tend to like thier own. Just don't load up the pond too heavy. Try to keep it as you've seen it or less.
On the honks, sounds like you've got several different family bunches kicking around and may be able to put some pressure on em, rest em, and do it again. Duckbeus is right on the money for the goose set up I'd use. As for the sky carp, well, unless you'd like to get one for the mantle or happen to see one kickin around with a collar or visible band, let em help your set up for Pins....

Man, you've got it made.

Rel Atwood

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Thanks All!
As for family groups of geese I think you are right. The Goose's setting has a BIG OL Gander who "guards her" then usually off but not more than say 100 yards are 3-4 other geese who just hang about. My guess but not knowing is the hang about bunch are last years hatch???

Checked one nest this morning and still hadn't hatched,the nest I can check only has 3 eggs in it.I simply ride by on the 4Wheeler and Ol momma hops into the pond and the Ol Gander comes mouth open to ?attack? but I don't stop I just ride on by and by the time I'm about 100yds. away shes back on the nest.Its down over a bank and I can see into it from above.I check about once a week.They should be hatchin soon.I won't check again for a few days.
I'm not sure when she went to setting? I first discovered her on April 16th. while checking the cattle.
The other nests would have to be checked by walking up to them and I just don't want to bother them.

Been seening pairs of Wood Ducks too. Think I'll build some nest boxes for them for next spring. The Old tree they usually nest in seems vacant this year.Well at least I've seen no Wood Ducks at that pond with that tree in it.Its a great location cause its totally surrounded by water about 3-4ft. deep.

I only see Pins and Ring Necks in early spring and fall never in late spring or summer,I suppose they are just passin thru.

·
Registered
721 Posts
black ducks are also a good universal decoy for multiple species of ducks. Not only for visibility but also for blacks being notorious for being wary birds.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I personally like family sized groups of decoys. Like 8-9 or 13-14 of them. I shy away from the even dz as too many guys have that number. I have 13 SMag BWTeal, 9 SMag Pintails, 8 SMag Blacks all the rest are in larger #s. I also have 13 G&H Mag Mallards, just for if I need to back back into a spot.

My Dad used to swear by 7 to 9 decoys in total. But there also used to be alot more ducks back then too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.