Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dog you see on the left there stinks. The boy has SBD gas. Sneeks up and knocks you over and makes you run the ceiling fan in fear of it when it acts up. The wife buys him Purina for his food and he eats some table scrapes but he's been off of them lately due to resistance to eat his dog food until he learns his place again.

What can be done to prevent it or lessen the "power" of it. Man, that dog can out run me and be more powerful than when I have had baked beans 2 days in a row. :eek:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Looks just like my dog, and probably smells like him. My dog is 12 and a couple years ago this got to be a big problem. I changed his food and put him on Exclusive. That took care of about 75% of the problem. He is still an old dog with an old digestive system so we get the occasional incident, but nothing like it was.

·
Registered
572 Posts
From my experience with the three dogs that I have been around in my family...two my dad owned and the pup that I have, Purina has given them all terrible gas. Unfortunatley my pup can't handle anything put purina but it gives her the worst gas I have ever smelled its enough to peel the paint off the walls some days :smile: :smile:. You might want to try switching the food you feed it might clear it up. Good Luck

Scott

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
mine can run you out of a room too. fortunately, he doesn't have it that often since i made the kids cut out the table scraps.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
ROFLMAO!!!

i should re-name my dog "swamp gas" puppy...yeah, his butt can emit some foul odors. especially after eating a few bratwursts and cleaning up a few bowls of chili.

*note to self..do not use the dog to clean plates at my next outdoor BBQ event....at least, not MY dog.*

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The biggest mistake we ever made was telling people they could feed the dog scrapes at me daughters 4th Birthday party. We had the idea of a chip here, part of a hotdog and normal stuff like that. They feed him 'everything" they did not want to eat and I do mean everything. He puked all over the dining room rug while she was open gifts. My buddy even recorded it in action with our video recorder. :eek: "Look, there's Hunter puking on the rug." I could make out beans, chips, ranch dressing, hotdogs and of course dogfood.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Gas is a bad subject in my house as well, the wife will leave the room she complains its so bad. But I think the Hartz treats she ate did it for the most part b/c she never gets human food.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Try a different food, ours had the gas on science diet and purina one. We switched to a different food and gas is no more. Also rawhide chews, pigs ears and treats like the bacon hertz tbone stuff will also give them bad gas and other possible bad side effects. I give my dogs only bones and the nylabone chews or the pressed starch chews. So far this has cleared up 99% of the gas the two emit.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O_E_J said:
Try a different food, ours had the gas on science diet and purina one.
What did you switch to?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I'v never had the problem of gas with my dog and she eats mostly Alpo and occasionally I switch her to another brand just for a break in routine.

Keep shooting, your bound to hit something.

·
Registered
168 Posts
archeryrob said:
O_E_J said:
Try a different food, ours had the gas on science diet and purina one.
What did you switch to?
Dont laugh at this one but we went to the Costco brand chicken and rice, I think it is Kirkland brand. We have tried everything you could think of, if it was not gas then is was dry irritated skin, or "scooting". The ingredients are good, the protien and nutrition values are on par and it is only 18 bucks for a 40 lb bag.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
If only you could use it in your truck. :getdown:

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're working cause your starting to get some tail feathers.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My pup will do the same thing lay by you, let one go stand up and sniff herself, walk across the room and when she realizes the smell followed her she gets up and tries to walk away from it again. She gets gas somethin fierce.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Good dog food seems to help, but the bigger problem is my human hunting partners. What is their problem? Table scraps, beef jerky, biscuits and gravy?

Few things are as bad as driving down a dark highway and hearing one of them start giggling. The power windows are not fast enough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.