Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my puppy has been doing great with the potty training and minding us and everything...but today...it was like a different dog. she was growling at everybody, missing her puppy pad, and barking for the first time. is this normal behavior? she will still mind me because i will tear into her if she acts up. is this just going to be a bad time until she gets a bit older?

·
Registered
112 Posts
how old??? Dogs have phases they go through just like we do. Also, Careful how much you "tear into your puppy" she needs security right now. There is plenty of time for training later. Please post the age. If you ever want to get together let me know. I used to live down there and still come in town once a month. I will be glad to meet up with you and we can train.

·
Registered
811 Posts
agengo02 said:
...but today...it was like a different dog. she was growling at everybody, missing her puppy pad, and barking for the first time. is this normal behavior?
That makes me want to get another puppy. A lot of pups will be very gentle and cooperative, for a time, after you bring them home. Once they are confident that you are not going to kill and eat them, they start getting real surly.

Some pups are obnoxious right out of the blocks, and with firm but gentle guidance, they come to understand their place in the hierarchy. My pup was one of those and at about 4.5 mos, I almost started to think that would be able to skip formal obedience (not really, but he was that good). Then sometime around 5 months of age, it was like someone switched him with a different pup. Open defiance at 5-6 months of age is my cue that it's time to begin formal training. YMMV.

Like said: they go through stages just like human babies--they just pass through the phases quicker.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
HA HA,
It sounds like your pup is testing you to see what it can get away with. Show him that you're the Alpha Male in the pack, Gently, and the problem will most likely go away.
He just needs a little guidance. Like Wuzza said,,, he just trying to figure out where he belongs in the hierarchy.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
she is about 10 weeks old. and i dont pop her hard or anything. just a strong tap on the nose and she stops what shes doing. then i give her a firm NO and point my finger at her. this usually does the trick. i think a big problem is that i cant really take her outside much. she hasnt had her second round of shots yet so i really dont want her to get something and we have to kind of hide her because i refuse to pay a $475 non-refundable pet deposit. i think also we are going to get her one of those chew toys that you put treats inside. maybe it will keep her attention a little longer. thanks for the advice so far guys.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Keeping her away from other dog areas is a good idea until shes up on all her puppy shots.

The Kong is a good idea too. It'll defiantly keep her busy.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Until she's finished with her puppy vaccinations, I'd keep her away from areas frequented by other dogs. Parvo is a miserable way to go.
Take her out in the woods or in a field that isn't used by others.
Better safe than sorry ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's a phase. Mine was a little angel until she came into her own, then all hell broke loose. After a time the pup should get a sense for where they stand in the "pack" that is your household, and the behavior may well change again. Chances are your pup just gained a sense of independence that came along due to an increase in confidence.

·
Registered
112 Posts
careful with popping on the nose. One day you are going to stick your hand near that nose to send him/her on a blind. She may think she is fixing to get in trouble. I have had small things like this come back to haunt me.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha i wish that were true, but she wont be a hunting dog. she is a cocker spaniel. now i may use her in the woods squirrel hunting or something, but too small for ducks. she would just be ********** around here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts