Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a yelllow lab she's 6 months old I gave her heart worm pill yesterday and she has not been eating for nothing I want out and feed her in the mourning today and went back at noon and only half was gone I feed her iams large breed puppy chow when i gave her a pill last month i don't remember her acting like this need all the help i can get

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Make sure she has lots of water and get out for some exercise. This will help reduce any side effects she might be having due to the medication. If she doesn't improve any after that then take her to the vet for a check up. Don't leave it too long though.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
getducks I dont know how hot it is up there but make sure for one if she is not getting the nutrition she needs at least make sure she does not get dehydrated. Keep her water in full shade fill her bowl up to the top or whatever you use (5 gallon bucket is best IMO) doing this will allow you to see how much water intake she is getting by the amount of water left. Not enough is not good b/c she is dehydrated and to much is also bad and you need to see the vet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I exercise my lab before I feed her. Let her have all the water she wants and let her cool off. Then I feed her. Once in a while she just turns up her nose at the food. Leave it and she will get around to eating it when she gets hungry. As previously posted, keep her well hydrated. I also feed her twice a day, cutting each meal in half of what the recommended daily ration is.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
definitely keep an eye on her. a couple of ?'s. is this a new type heartworm med your giving her? did her food change since the last pill? she may just have an upset stomach. check her feces to see if it is solid or runny? (it's gross, i know).

i want to point something out here also. i personally believe that you shouldn't leave dog food with a dog all day to eat at their leisure. they begin to realize that they have food available whenever they want and don't tend to get enough nutrients for busy days. it also lends to erratic bathroom habits. if the dog is kept/fed outside ants can become a problem if the food just sits in the bowl all day. they should eat when it's feeding time until it's gone. this way you don't have to worry about how much the dog is getting, if he needs to go the bathroom now, etc. my dog naturally chows down at meal time until it's gone. it doesn't matter if he's eating 6 cups or 12 cups. if your dog doesn't, you can easily train them to. simply cut their food portion in 1/3rds for 5 days or so. even if they start eating all up quick, keep the pattern up for at least 5 days. like gsp mentioned, they do naturally monitor their caloric/fat/protein intake. if they feel like they aren't getting enough, they will try to gorge themselves to catch up.

i can't stress enough how much a difference this makes in bathroom habits either. you still need to let them out to pee but you can just about set your watch by what time they'll do their other business...hth!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.