Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wow Fred, those are some really nice looking pictures. You should take a few more and make yourself a "Sadie Calendar" to hang in the kitchen or somewhere.

I would say $40 would be about right for a really good picture of my dogs but if I wanted several pictures I don't think I'd pay $40 each. Great work.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Very nice Fred! I think $40 would be a fair price for pics of someones dog. Some folks charge a sitting fee and then a per pic price. Either way, you seem to do nice work.

(sorry to see you get blasted on TOS, but thats the norm over there)

·
Registered
144 Posts
First thing I thought when I saw this was...SPAM!!!! Even with all the disclaimers. They are nice pictures, though I would have thought that a proper post would have just been the pictures. After everybody got through oohing and ahhing would be the time to bring up the wifey, and the price, and all. Just my $.02, which is all it's worth.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bushawg:

I don't really know who she's out of. I picked her up on the side of the road.

No, wait, that's Brydog's Molly.

Sadie is out of...Now, I have to hunt up that pedigree.

Nah, it's not worth the trouble.

I do know her grandpap on her mamma's daddy's side is HRCH UH WHITEHOUSE DOUBLE DEALIN DAN MH and her grand pap on her momma's momma's side is HRCH Sinclair Lake's Trey Boy MH.

Whew! This is too complicated for me.

I was at the Little Washington Decoy Festival last year, and met Chris Adams and watched him give a dog training demonstration, and I was hooked.
http://www.whitehousekennels.com/brags.cfm

She's got a few titles in her pedigree, but I just can't remember them. I didn't buy her because of her papers, I bought her 'cause her momma, and daddy were both huntin' dogs, and I know the guy who owned her parents, and he said she'd be a good hunting dog, and he was right. She is the best dog I've ever had.

She's 13 months old now, and went head to head with DUCKCUTR's dog Stella who is a four year old.

I'm pretty sure we are going to try and get her some ribbons this year. More to keep her in training, and keep my fat ass off the couch than anything else.

The vet talked me into getting her spayed when she was six months old. Worst mistake I ever made all year.
At six months old, I thought she would never take to training. She was just too damned wild, uncontrollable. But, now, she's doing real good, and I wish I could get some pups off of her to help pay her upkeep, and me a new boat. But, that ain't gonna happen now.

Oh, you got me to thinking about pedigree's now, and I had to type in her grandma's name and got her pedigree.
http://www.goldleafretrievers.com/layce.html
and her grandpa's
http://www.goldleafretrievers.com/trey.html
It seems like they are from the old Super Chief line. 2XNAFC-68NFC SUPER CHIEF

So, maybe my dog has potential after all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Late bloomers are nothing new to Dan pups. I thought I saw the Dan in her when I saw the pictures. Layce and my old female were half sisters. They both came from Alan Pleasants. You have a real nice dog and you should have alot of fun running some HT. Good luck and I enjoyed seeing the pictures. If you are serious about the photos, you should contact the area HT clubs. Most of the clubs let people come in and take pictures of the dog and handlers and then you can sell them to the owners. If you do it spend most of your time at the JH test level. They will buy more photos.

·
Registered
443 Posts
fred48 said:
Oh, you got me to thinking about pedigree's now, and I had to type in her grandma's name and got her pedigree.
http://www.goldleafretrievers.com/layce.html
and her grandpa's
http://www.goldleafretrievers.com/trey.html
It seems like they are from the old Super Chief line. 2XNAFC-68NFC SUPER CHIEF

So, maybe my dog has potential after all.
Fred, how's everything going for the upcomming run? You didn't tell me that Saddie had so many good dogs in her background. Of course everybody around the HT game knows Super Chief, but Trey is a great dog too...I've seen him work more than once. Saddie is going to do great, keep at it. Get up with me some time soon for another run.

·
Registered
53 Posts
a man and his hunting dogs grow together. they develope all your habits just like a kid. teach them right and they will be by your side for a long time. and all they want to do is please their master. take your dog everytime you hunt. they get better with practice. great pic. take care of your dog and they will take care of you in the field.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My new Chessie got hit by a Copper Head yesterday not once but 3 times within 12 hours. Scariest thing is that he was just playing in our front yard when struck by all of them.

Here are pictures of bite(s) - got to vet within 40 minutes for the first one and they gave him steroids, antibiotics and pain meds. Amazingly enough today he is acting normal again - was an full adult male that got him the first time and a juvenile the second two times. Very lucky it was the foot and legs but not the face - heard those are ugly and for his size potentially deadly.

He was obviously antagonizing it because our beagle has never gotten a strike - need to find a way to break him of this habit because if he gets a hold of Timber Rattler in Bertie County where we hunt a lot he wouldn't have made it even the 40 minutes next time. From now on carrying I am carrying benedryl and giving 2 tabs per (50 mg) per our vet recommendations immediately - this is not advice because I do not want anybody to do this and kill a dog that is allergic to benedryl and get sued in todays litigeous world so take it for what it is worth.

I just hope he is as aggressive at getting ducks, swans and geese as he is at going after snakes as a silly puppy.

This is my first dog and I don't know how I have ever done without one because he is such a joy to have around. I am training him on own and to this point he already knows to sit on whistle/voice, come to two wistles/voice, loves fun bumpers and he is crazy about the water and the boat. So far he has all the makings of a super duck dog.

Also can shoot a 22 pistol over his head while eating without him flinching and he actually even gets excited about it and starts eating faster and wagging his tail when it goes off so I don't think gun shy-ness will be an issue. Of course worked up to that close range over time.

If anybody knows of a good retriever club in the Raleigh/Louisburg/Youngsville NC area I would love to speak with the hunt master about possibly joining and teaching Tanner there as he grows.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Snakes give me the Willies.

Check out my retriever clubs. One is not enough.

East Carolina Hunting Retriever Club www.echrc.com

And

Lumber River Retriever Club www.lrrc.net

I live in Raleigh, and I'm always looking for someone to train with.

Let me know sometime if you want to do some dog work, and we'll get together.

How old is your puppy? My dog is 18 months, but still thinks she's a puppy.

Here's a picture of my dog.
Oh, I forgot, her pictures are at the beginning of this thread.

Here she is all decked out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, laugh if you want, I just threw my whistle lanyard around her neck, and stuck the ribbons on it.

I personally like the orange one better. At least I can hear it better. It doesn't matter to her. She'll do what I want her to by yelling to her. But, I was hunting year before last, and a guy had a young dog that wasn't well trained. The dog had no idea what to do with the bird the guy shot. He'd scream, yell and cuss the dog at the top of his lungs, calling her a stupid no good bitch, etc. etc.

Well, I felt sorry for the dog because her owner didn't spend the time training her. And, I felt sorry for the guy because at that point in time, everybody in ear shot knew he was a no good piece of doggy dung, a sorry dog trainer, and a loud mouthed bully.

That day, I decided if I were to get a dog, I would spend the time and money it would take to get her ready to "go out in public" so to speak.

Actually, for all of last year, I didn't hunt with anyone for that very reason, just me and the dog went out 22 times But, now, she's all trained up, and ready to go get them ducks.

We will definitely get together, again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts