Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you tried using wings on the dummy with your dog yet? I really dont know what else to tell ya. Luckily mine did not have that problem; she was more than excited and willing to get a dead duck evern more excited than getting a bumper. There are lots of great people on here that can give you more advice than I can.

·
Registered
672 Posts
using a wing on the dummie is a great idea if that doesnt work try starting off short retrieves with a dead duck in your yard something to get your dog used to that situaton then move on from there. dont get discouraged remember to keep at it a good dog isnt made over night and always practice with him. if that doesnt help take the dog somewhere where there is tame ducks like a farm that the farmer doesnt care of course and let him see them get him crazy about ducks and you shouldnt have a problem

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you havent force fetched the dog you will more often than not run into these type of problems. There are a lot of good books and videos that you should look into. Some one might be able to help you further with the age, type and experience of dog.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I had some trouble with mine for one day. I think the feather fell different and they don't retrieve them right away. I took a goose wind and made it a game and he loved it ever since. Now the scent is in his nose and it about drives him crazy. I have 6 wings I saved from the 5 Canadians I shot the other day drying in the shed. He circles the shed as he can smell them in there and he never saw me put them there.

I would suggest the same thing. Use a wing or a frozen duck and make it fun. Mine is terribly excitable so me waving my arms and talking loud and he will do anything I tell him too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate all of yalls responses. i took a dead bird and froze it and took it out today and made it like a game to her. she didnt respond right away, but after a little while she couldnt keep her jaw off of that duck.Thanks again. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. They really only want to play and please us. So we just need to learn how they think and customize training to how they think. Make it fun and show them how to please us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.