Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$30 bucks for a dang retrieving dummy. I just one tonight to work with my younger female lab. I put a little duck scent in/on it and she is really excited about it. It also has a hard plastic head and feet so if the dog shakes it smacks them in the head. I didn't really use this on my chessie, but kind of wish I would have now...

Anyone have any thoughts on the dokkens dumbies? Worth the $30? I think its a good addition to the piles of bumpers in the back of my truck.....

·
Registered
271 Posts
They are pricey, but they are great. I have a bunch of them in different sizes. From teal to Canada goose.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I put a bunch of duck scent in it and just got back from scouting a couple spots. I was shooting over the dokkens and the dog was pretty excited. I can't wait for the season to open down here!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes they are worth the money, the hard head makes the dog grab by the body and not the head. Easy to throw and come in all shapes sizes and color. You can even inject scent into the dummy also sold where any Dokken DFT can be purchased. Plus to further your training Dokkens also offer the diver DFT, with this it trains your dog to circle while waiting for the bird to resurface.

Yes I know I might sound like an ad, nope its just that I work at Dokkens and have thrown 100s of these.

lata, 2d

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'll tell you what. I've seen the diving DFT and it looks AWESOME! It is so hard to actually teach a dog that:

a) ducks will dive
b) sometimes they will surface
c) they (the dog) should stay in the last area they saw it

I've always relied on 'experience', but the diving DFT looks like the ticket!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Earlier someone mentioned that it helped the dog decide to pic up the item from the body. well i had to laugh because tanner .. he likes to pick up the goos one by the head.........not sure why........the small duck yes...the mallard yes.....but he has onlypicked the goos up twice by the bocy and the rest of the time by the head.......should i be concerned....

other wise.......these dummies are great. yes expensive but great..i like the weight issue each one has .......

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMO if the dog brings the goose back, leave it... Don't ruin a good thing.

JMO. Sometimes people get wrapped up in style points. As far as I am concerned, if the dog brings my bird back, listens, and doesn't ruin hunts, then hes great!

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought 3 DFT's ( 2 mallards & 1 Woodie ) and agree they are worth the money. Mine cost $24.99 each thru Gun Dog Supply in MS. Steve Schnell and his crew are GREAT to do business with. I also agree my ogs SEEM to be more enthusiastic about these than reg. bumpers. I did not buy the scent injector, tho....think I might ahve made a mistake by not taking this as well....Anyway, they are "high", but like the old Jew, Abe Rubinek said, "Quality pays, not costs."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.