Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinonis

Ive bought lots of duck call and i found that double reed tend to sound bad if to much spit gets in to the reeds or if water from the rain gets in.

·
Registered
556 Posts
ok...you asked for opinions.....
DR's are for people that have a hard time mastering single reed. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I think there is a good market for DR's and I know hunters that do really well with them. They just can not and do not have the wide range of tone that a SR has. Plane and simple.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Okie - normally i would be right in there with ya on the SR's wide range vs a double's ability to do the same, but Fraz brought up a good call that really does blow like a single. I blew the double trouble without knowing what it was. when i popped it open and saw 2 reeds in it i almost fell over. It blows with a wider range than my short barrel does...and as much as i like that short barrel, it may be spending some more time on my "second string" lanyard this year.

another good double is the Diamond/Poly from Echo. not quite as much range as a single reed or the DT, but darn close. (in defense of the Echo..it is a 45-50 dollar call vs. 75-85 bucks for the others.)

aside from the SR vs DR controversy...double reed calls make great meat calls. they are also good calls for beginners to use, though i learned on a single and would recommend to anyone to do the same. IMHO you will be a much better all around caller if you do.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Mallard man,

What you are refering to is called loading up. What happens is you get to much saliva between the two reeds not allowing the bottom reed to rattle properly. Kind of like a glass on a wet table.
some double reeds are worse for this than others some guys blow "wetter" than others. I have had this happen with almost all the double reed calls that I have blown enough to know. I have a Zinc XR-2 that is suposed to be resistant to that, and I heard Bucks new calls are as well.
The double troubles SP has talked about will do that if you blow real wet. The cool thing is you can turn them into a single very easily to eliminate the problem. I suspect you could turn most of the "J frame" doubles into a single the same way. The traditional doubles are just that doubles.

Don't kid yourself many many ducks fall to double reed calls, and some of the "duckiest" feather spittin' calls I have blown or heard were doubles. :thumbsup:

Bret

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Swamp Puppy said:
...they are also good calls for beginners to use, though i learned on a single and would recommend to anyone to do the same. IMHO you will be a much better all around caller if you do.
this is the exact philosophy that i took when learning how to call. i have thought about adding one of the Rowdy DOA DR's to my set with all of the praise they have gotten.

now where is bret?!?!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Swamp,
I may have to "try" it out....thanks for the info.

As far as a good SR that won't hurt your wallet....go to online auction and find a D-2 Olt. Once you learn how to blow it...mmmmm good!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I am here.

Hard Feed chuckle. hmmm I haven't given it much thought.
I don't think they run as fast as a single reed comp/open water type call. But I know I do it on my DT and have not noticed it being to tough. Mostly I just single cut with most of my hunting calls.

I am at work right now and don't have any calls with me to test it out, but when I get home I will run a double cut feed, and a single cut. on three calls and compare them on "how easy or tough they are" I will use a Zinc XR-2, A rowdy DOA double trouble ( I will run one as a double then one as a single), and a RNT shortbarrel ( I could do the short barrel as a double and single as well). This will still only offer a comparison for how I feed, and still be open to opinion to some extent.
I could record it if you want? I guess.

I will post results tomorrow. I am going fishin' tonight.

Bret

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
okiequacker said:
Swamp,
I may have to "try" it out....thanks for the info.
try one if you get the chance. it may not stand up to a single reed open water style of call, but up against a little timber wood call, it holds its own. Bret brought up it's ability to be set up as a single reed as well as a double. I still haven't run mine that way....but am going to spend a day playing with it real soon.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Fraz - Bret will be the guy that you'll want to talk to about it. I've only had mine for a short time (less than a week) and while i love it, he's alot more familiar with these calls.

for what it's worth..it runs a feed chuckle ok IMO. i am not a blazing fast double cutter with my feed call..i tend to lean towards more of a fast single cut. i have no problems with it. i tend to blow "wet" so it will load up on me a bit after about 30 minutes of solid blowing. but don't let that deter you..that happens to me with most calls i blow. it's operator error. LOL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.