Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I think it depends on the dog. Bloodlines of course but also, is the dog a couch potato during the off-season or do you keep it active? I think that a dog that is healthy with plenty of exercise will outlast one who only works during hunting season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
42,991 Posts
Fieldlab said:
At what age does a retriever's drive really start to show, thanks
Drive for....?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hunt drive retrieve drive will he have the gears to go long on both land and water maybe run some Q's my last lab took a while for it to come out my current dog is 4 months and show lots of retrieve drive so far I know a lot has to do with the training

·
Registered
70 Posts
My pup started getting his retriever drive (meaning he would go after and bring it back to my hand) at 3 months or 3.5 months. The dokken mini duck bumpers with scents and then taped on game wings really brought it out. He would go after stuff and run around with it before that time, but the retrieves weren't consistent until the 3-3.5 month time period.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Both of my last two Labs were going out and bring back things I would through for them when I brought them home at 8 weeks. That’s not to say a dog that doesn’t do this his a problem but rather a statement that all dogs are different and come to things at their own pace.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
At 10 weeks the good ones are retrieving maniacs. Don't burn them out. This is the time to environmentally expose them; land, water, cover, just walks through it. Experience everything, play train daily. With a well bred dog, desire is rarely a problem.

·
Administrator
42,991 Posts
At 10 weeks the good ones are retrieving maniacs. Don't burn them out. This is the time to environmentally expose them; land, water, cover, just walks through it. Experience everything, play train daily. With a well bred dog, desire is rarely a problem.
Glad you're still alive!! 😅 (y)

·
Administrator
42,991 Posts
Glad to see all of you still on this side of the dirt and not floating around in a barrel a lake somewhere :cool:
I figured you in prison. Or...Swampbilly1980 HIM/HIS. :ROFLMAO:

Wassup ole buddy?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts