Duck Hunting Forum banner

Dry Field Duck Hunting?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Sportsman850 
#1 ·
Does anyone do well shooting ducks in dry fields? I mostly hunt in Champlain valley/Addison county, and always tend to see a handful of ducks flying around early morning before a goose hunt. Wondering if it would be worth trying to target them on dry land. I have never really seen any numbers when scouting so I was just curious if guys target them that way or if it ends up being a bonus to shoot a few ducks on a goose hunt. a have a few doz FB ducks but never set them out because I haven't really seen them out in the fields.

#6 ·
My experience with dry land ducks in VT is that you usually get them at first light when you are set up for geese. Although, the river bottom field hunters do pretty well after a hard and fast rainfall. Hard rains make puddles in fields and when the rivers rise fast, current gets strong, and the puddles start looking real nice to ducks flying over... :grooving:

#7 ·
We hammer the ducks in the fields. Set up early and put the mojos right by the blinds. They fly right at shooting light and keep flying for about a half hour later give or take. Once the geese start flying though we shut the mojos off. Then the ducks will come back a few hours later and buzz our spread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.