Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHY DOES DU SHORT STOP THE DUCKS IN ARK & MIS AND THAN LIE ABOUT IT I SAY SCREW DU ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE AGREE

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Please provide us with some back-up data as to how DU is responsible in "shortstoppiung" the migration. I'm not trying to rock the boat, you already did that, but I am willing to hear you out LA. So what is DU doing?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
No response.....just what I figured.

Please folks, this site needs input, not irresponsible claims with no back-bone!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dont think you should blame DU. They dont pay for the corn I toss in my back yard! :lol: :lol: :lol: Like the others said. Show me the proof because the majority sure isnt stayin in MN. Just a few thousand. Most of them I see probably dont stop in my state, till they see my corn that is.

G

·
DU IS NOT SHOT STOPPING YOUR DUCKS..................I AM ............WITH MY 12 GUAGE.

I HAVE BEEN HEARING ABOUT PEOPLE SHOT STOPPING DUCKS FOR OVER 30 YEARS. FIRST IT WAS THE KANSAS FARMERS WHO CUT THIER FIELDS LATE ON PURPOSE SO THE DUCKS WOULD NOT GO ANY FARTHER SOUTH, THEN IT WAS THE RICH GUYS WHO OWN THE LARGE LEASES IN ARKANSAS WHO BAITED THE RICE FIELDS TO KEEP THE DUCKS THERE. AGAIN...............THE TRUTH IS NO ONE IS ABLE TO SHORT STOP A MIGRATION OF MILLIONS OF DUCKS. THE DUCKS HAVE TO HEAD SOUTH TO COMPLETE THEIR LIVE CYCLE. THE ONLY THING THAT EFFECTS THE MIGRATION IS THE WEATHER. TOO WARM UP NORTH, FEWER DUCKS DOWN SOUTH.

G

·
Truth of the matter about DU and stort stopping....The ducks still migrate, its just that there are so many refuges where you cant hunt and food plots are left by the farmers in which the state or fed govt pays the farmers for leaving. The ducks learn quick, the goose population is getting bigger which means there are more older and wiser birds. The ducks and geese learn where the refuges are, most are within a days flying distance from each other, or in cases even closer. Of all the ducks that migrate, 80% of these will hop from one refuge to another. That leaves us with the other 20% to hunt. This sounds sad and far fetched to others, but it is true. I stay in contact with the local refuge to see how many birds they are holding and the numbers are scary considering I can go hunting and see 500-2000 birds in a day, most are high migraters not looking for a place to land. When I see those #'s of birds, you can bet the refuge is holding 10,000-15,000 birds. You want the Truth, there it is. DU is not short stopping birds, but they are allowining them to travel and rest in safe locations. The reasoning behind this is to increase populations. Its something I don't agree with 100%, why have more ducks if you can't hunt them.

·
1,455 Posts
At the end of each season, when the duck numbers are counted up by who bagged the most ducks in each region,the southern states always come out head and shoulders above the rest.When we get a long cold winter in the north then ducks will fly as far south as they have to to find good wintering areas.DU and farm policy won't slow it down.The winters of the last 5 years or so have been pretty mild compared to the long term average.Seasons dates are set in legal stone but ducks do what the weather tells them and the weather does what it pleases.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if every one would quit giving du their money and form local groups you would see better hunting seasons

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
LEADHEAD said:
DU IS NOT SHOT STOPPING YOUR DUCKS..................I AM ............WITH MY 12 GUAGE.quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!

Old time member for DU for dumping corn up North to shortstop ducks :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got through reading a study which showed that on average an acre of no tilled corn land north of us has about 300 pounds of spillage laying on the ground after harvest. Prior to no til farming this spillage corn would have been tilled under which would have put 80-95 percent of it out of reach of the ducks. That represents about 3-4 percent of the harvest. That's 300 pounds for a 200' X 200' piece of property. There are about 5,000,000 acres of no tilled corn land up there. Each acre will feed 987 mallards for one day. It will feed 30,000,000 mallards for 100 straight days if only 20 percent of it is actually consumed by ducks. Is that enough corn to shortstop the mallards, who unlike the early migraters, only come as far south as necessary for food and water. Each year about 7 percent more of the land in put into no til farming. Somehow I feel our best days down south are behind us as the no til farming practices will not end. We are more dependent on the weather now than ever to cover this spillage. And this doesn't take into account beans, just corn.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can tell you first hand that mallards and geese will feed in tilled fields just as much as no-tilled fields. I witness this every year. There can be a no-tilled field on one side of the road but the ducks will be funneling into the tilled field on the other side of the road. Even though it is tilled there is still plenty of grain available to feed plenty of ducks.

I think that power plant lakes that keep water from freezing are probably a bigger player than no-till farming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I always heard that the mother hen brings her brood to certain spots for their first migration , and they come back close to there year after year... With the mild winters , Ducks just arent learing to come down here like they use to... I talk to several hunters from all over even up north that dont see many ducks till after their season is over....I still think most of it is about thew weather , no snow , no need for the ducks to hump it on down this far...

Stretch

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think that the weather plays a big part of the lack of migration. Not plowing the fields up in the fall is huge too. In central IL we have a couple of power plant lakes that hold there share of waterfowl in the blunt of winter, however, there was no blunt of winter this year..... We had no ducks or geese to speak of this year in Central IL. One of the strip mine lakes in west central IL that we hunt geese by didn't even freeze one time this year. I don't care for DU, but I can't see how we can blame this on them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it is pretty sad that the good work of the folks at DU is being trashed by some. Think about it....11,000,000 acres of protected and rehabilitated land to provide nesting in the duck factory. That is bigger than Rhode Island and Conneticut combined.

My wish is that folks would step out of the box and take a look at what is going on with the ever increasing population and decreasing amount of natural habitat.

Maybe I am one sided due to the fact that I live in the north country and don't have to worry about so called short-stopping practices (the canadians north of us don't do anything of the sort). Just my 2 cents....but I will continue to donate my time and money to the organization b/c I KNOW it helps in the long run. :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think that DU is great ok they make more nesting grounds whitch equalls more duck so are so called 20% will gorw.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry, but I gotta favor DU. They are the frontliners in the fight to save our wetlands. I live eat and breath duck hunting, but being 25, I wanna know that one day i can hunt with my grandkids. I hionestly feel mild winters have the largest impact on migration. If its not as cold up north, the ducks just dont have to travel as far.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If it doesnt get cold the birds arent going to leave where there at. When the water is frozen up North that is when the begin going South. Its not anything DU can do about the weather and the birds flying South

·
Registered
468 Posts
I also love DU one of the best places to hunt in southern ontario was built and is maintained by DU

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah, I agree DU is good. That's why I send them money every year. But why in the **** would you pull up a 2 year old thread to say that?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts