Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm buying a 16 foot v bottom boat that needs be good for hunting and fishing. I'm planning on tearing it apart and rebuilding it. I need to know what paint to use, how to make the layout and, how to build a blind. This is my first time trying this so help me out if you have any genius ideas.

thanks fellas

·
1,456 Posts
dukkilr6,sounds like a great project.How about some more info about the boat.
Is it fiberglass or aluminium,makes a difference when it comes to paint and preparation.
What make and model?Might be helpful if someone else here has worked on the same kind of boat.
Are you going to have a mostly open boat or do you plan on having enclosed areas?
Blinds on a boat can be as varied as the guys who build and use them and can be made from a variety of material,wood,pvc pipe,steel or aluminium conduit.
Lots of options,especially if you start from a basic hull as you stated.
Let us know what you got and maybe we can give you some help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The boat is a 16 foot 1960's aluminum crestliner. It has three bench seats and a small seat in the bow. The seats are all brand new marine plywood. It is a well built boat, and I think its as good as any new aluminum boat of the same type. Its just been sandblasted down to bare metal. I want to put bow and stearn lights in. a floor, depthfinder, trolling motor in back, a blind, a livewell, and some kind of storage compartment. Hows that for a list. I dont know how I'm going to fit it all in there. any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
1,456 Posts
To paint the hull you want to make sure it is clean,no dirt or residue.Give the hull a good wash and rinse and let it dry.Wipe it down with Acetone and a rag(do it in a very well ventillated area-outdoors is the best )
Paint with an aluminium primer first and let it dry(temperature at drying time is important,not to hot or cold,room temp is the best-60 to 70)
Decide on a color sceme,do you want one solid color for the finish coat or do you want to give it a camo sceme.Either way flat paints are the rule.
If you go with camo you can pick up spray cans of Krylon camouflage at Walmart for 2.50 or so a can.I've used this paint on a few projects and it does the job very nicely.Its available in a dozen useful camo colors.

Are you planning on using an outboard or just the electric motor,cause if you are only going to run the electric you could set up a depth finder on the seat ahead of you,even make it removable.
If you plan on an outboard with a tiller you could do the same,if not with a tiller I'd recommend a side console.Side console are better, I believe in smaller boats,leaves you with more room. You could set up the depth sounder on the console,along with the switch for the lights.
You can get the bow and stern lights through cabelas or Boat U.S.You can also buy portable live wells and storage compartments from them as well.That way you could rearrange the boat for each different use.

I've never put a floor in an aluminium boat but I did do it to a glass one.I laid foam insulation(2 inch board type,pink colored from home depot)down as a base and filled in the gaps with the spray in foam crack and joint sealer,made a nice glue to boot.Then cut a sheet of plywood to fit the interior contours and glued it down and sealed the edges.
Maybe someone else has a better idea on that one,just my two cents worth.
I hope some of this helps out,bottom line is its your project and you can do it any way you want.Good luck and keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Which St. Cloud are you in? If Minnesota, we've got a guy around Zimmerman who does some of that work for pretty cheap. However he is quite happy to answer questions and even provide you with plans for a job if you'd like to do it yourself or just don't have the cash. If you are interested lemme' know, I'll forward the info on to you. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run a 14' Lund SV (aluminum) with a 20 hp and fish salmon out of it . I started with a bare hull and with roughly the same goodie list I am done up to the blind. No storage and no livewell.

I would stay with tiller control as it is cheaper, lighter and has way less components to die on you when you are coming home in the dark.

I cut 3/4 '' ply to fit the floor , 2 coats Thompson Water seal and then glued rubber backed marine carpet . Great no-slip traction. I chiseled out the ply to sit over the ribs and stuck blue styro insulation to the ply.
Floor comes out easy for cleaning.

I pulled the wiring for the running lights through the gunnel with the help of some vaseline.

Depth sounder and black box I kept on the back seat, both are removable. Closer to the battery so less wiring mess and it keeps the centre bench completely clear. Compass is on the third bench , protected by the passenger swivel seat

Three switch panel is just above the battery in the stern. No charge set up from the motor so I have a cheapo Walmart motorcycle battery in an Attwood box. Small and light.

Fun project so far. Sorry for the long post but you might get an idea or two. You'll have a hoot fixing yours up. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a 14' Alumaweld boat and built it the way I wanted it. It had the three bench seats with a 12" deck in the front of the boat. I bought a plastic hatch and liner from Cabelas or maybe Bass Pro Not really sure. Then cut a hole in the middle bench seat using a "jig saw". After I cut the hole I had to remove the foam that filled the seat to accomidate the plastic liner. I did this with a sheet rock saw and a sharp wood chisel. I set in the liner and then attached the lid and attached it to the bench. It works well for storage during duck season and as a live well during the summer.
I also wanted a fishing deck in the front of the boat for the summer. I used some Heavy Guage Metal Studs and Track to frame the floor. I placed them on 12" centers and screwed the track a 1/2" below the top of the existing bench seats. Then I decked it with 1/2" treated plywood and covered the plywood with indoor outdoor carpet.
I have since sold the boat and am working on a new one. I hope this helps you out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.