Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I didnt get any my first six years hunting. Usually get one every season now. The mallards are what they band the most. Seems
like you have to get a lot more now than six or eight years ago before you get one with a band.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nothin out here. I was very luck for years back in IL (26). But i've been dry for six seasons now. I guess that's what I get for hunting with a game hog!!! :yes: It just commes down to a little luck and the fact that they don't do large scale banding operations here in the pre-season. you mostly have to wait for that first big push of mallards or wait till they band down south..the rest just good luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
All

Im new to the website but not new to NM waterfowling. I have lurked a few times over the last few months. Finally got around to logging in. NM is one well kept waterfowl secret. I've whacked birds here for the last 25 years from Farminton to Artesia and the playas lakes to Raton and every dirt road in between I think. Every year I find "new "spots.
I hunt with my four best friends- my two yellow labs and two teenage kids. They really plow through the Purina and the Steel!
As far as band returns, here's the count. These are all NM bands.

1 canada goose
7 Mallards
2 redheads
2 pintails
2 Ross (one with a neck band)
2 snow geese
I figure I kill about 50 birds per band. Some years I get none. Two years ago I got four. go figure

time to train the dog and shoot some clays.

See you in the marsh

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a fair amount of bling. Its also been more than half my life.
Crazy thing about it, I get more passionate about it every year.
My grandfather was a duckhunter, my dad is as passionate as my brother and I. My kids like it, not love it, but that will come with age.

Offseason depression has set in. Maybe some of those crazy sky carp....

·
Registered
416 Posts
riverboy said:
I guess from your prev. posts you stay away from the wma also, I wonder if a guys more likely to shoot them banded birds on the refuge due to higher number of groups there?
The sad thing is... I hunt mostly on the wma's. Still only one band. :mad: I had a nice hole early in the season then the ducks dried up over there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts