Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first mallard hen call. I think the 13 years of playing trumpet in my youth has served me well when it comes to the duck call.
It is just about the same technique other than the position of your lips. (that sounds dirty) (I'm only saying this because, those of you expert callers might whan to pick up a trumpet some day...) (disclaimer...trumpets are bad for calling in ducks) (I think...never tried it.) (I wonder if I can write this whole thing in parenthesis) ANYWAY...
When I play around with the call my beagle/lab and something mix starts to howl. My black lab (Dega) barks and runs around in circles looking for a toy and my yellow pup (Indy) tries to howl (funny) then gives up and starts attacking the other two. I have three dogs howling, barking and growling while running around. (The wife starts howling also..." Gary stop that right now you are driving me nuts!") (Hilarious)

So I'm thinking...this might be bad inside of a blind. The beagle thing with never go cuz he hates water and listens about as well as a teenager.
Dega is a moron, the only thing she will bring back is tennis balls and squeaky toys. Indy...(like Luke Skywalker to the Jedi) is my only hope.
I use a bufflehead I got to try and train her. Now I just need to get her to bring it back to me instead of licking it across the floor. (sigh)

·
Registered
70 Posts
careful with the jedi star wars talk around here....there was some confusion in another post about some of the recent star wars terminology....i grew up with it ...in fact my parents had to preview the original (chapter IV) before i could see it.....lets see that would make me 34 years old......has it been that long......

you should see my 2 year old daughter blowing my duck calls....shes getting pretty good...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I hear you about the trumpet thing... I play in a jazz band right now and I can defenatly tell that it's helped my duck AND goose calling tremendously... ttyal

Mallyard

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have Jazz in Kansas? :umm: I thought it was all washboards, kazoos, booze jugs, jaw harps and wash tubs. Oh..wait... thats Kentucky.

Calm down...I'M KIDDING! :salude:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has been moved to the "complete nonsense duck hunting forum." I am the moderator.
Ole' Bill fills in for me when I am at work. The monkey fills in for him when he gets drunk. The funny thing is the results are the same.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I beleive the howling is a direct comment on how poorly you blow it. It is not, I repaet it is not to be blown like a kazoo. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Keep at it and your dogs won't even pay attention. My dog can be in a dead sleep and my calling wont even open his eyes. He is so used to it because he hears it about every 5 minutes while im in the house, truck etc...

Now if I could just get the fiance to become used to having a loud call blown inside the house.......

I used to blow it in the garage, but she said it was still too loud, so now I blow them on my back deck to all the neighbors. A few neighbors actually grab their calls and call back. A few neighbors have moved in the 7 months I have had my house............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.