Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a duck call for a friend of mine for his birthday. All I know is acrylic, double reed. He's duck hunted all his life and I'm CLUELESS. I was told $130-$140.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Acrlyics can get pritty pricey but you could try a poly-acrlyic or wood acrlyic. Echo calls have some real nice ones that sound realy ducky. goto there site and they have a good selection. and will also fit a call to your friends needs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Take a look into the Foiles Migrators Calls-www.foilesstraitmeat.com

the Timber Rattler is around $125, and can get it in a double reed.

the Strait Meat Mallard can also be purchased in double reed, however mine is a single reed. around $125
you can also mix and match colors of the call

these calls are extremely easy to blow- however i would recommend having your friend try out the call before you buy it- maybe get him a gift cert. to cabelas - that he can use for a call. Its not worth spending $125+ on a call, and not having it fit the caller.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
One of the duckyest calls out there runs only $80 for all acrylic, or $60 for coco-acrylic hybrid and kills a lot of ducks for me It is a Rowdy DOA double trouble. Bang for the buck my choice hands down, it is the only double reed call that I like. I blow singles almost all the time but that one is a regular on my lanyard and will be for a long time I think. Great looking call too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Alot depends on the type of hunting area he hunts in. Open water, timber, small waters (ponds). If he has hunted all his life and is willing to spend that kind of money, I would recommend a single reed. Lot more versitle. If DR is what he wants, and want to spend that kind of money, I would take a look at the Foiles Strait Meat. I personally won't pay that much money for a call. I'm over trying to have a duck call that will impress other hunters and more into impressing ducks. I use the old keyhole olt
D-2 cutdown and regular...I'll never need any other calls. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'll be up front with you.....I've been blowing my calls for 4 years...never had a problem.....none of my friend have any either.....on the outside chance the reed falls out or the cork shrinks.....you can contact me or send the call and ill get it back in the field.....it's hard to warranty wood since so many things can happen........I will say I quit using woods like purple heart simply because they are so brittle that in time they crack.....I hope I answered the queston

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.