Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about the mechanics of what we call duck sounds. How close am I? Pressurized air causes the reed to vibrate lifting off and then onto the toneboard. The reed vibrating is what makes the noise. The toneboard controls the shape of the reed vibrating which effects the sound we hear. Changing the toneboard changes the shape of the vibrating reed thus changing the sound. Close?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm just guessing here but I think when air is pushed through the call the reed is off the tone board for the most part. The board shape controls how air flows over the board and through the channel. I could be completely wrong though.

·
2,741 Posts
coyote2 said:
I'm just guessing here but I think when air is pushed through the call the reed is off the tone board for the most part. The board shape controls how air flows over the board and through the channel. I could be completely wrong though.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

STUMP

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Any of you guys own an iPhone 6? Reason I ask(Stump) is I read yalls debate over on the other forum there and was just thinking if someone had an iPhone 6 they now have a slow motion function that would probably solve the mystery for you guys. Id do it myself if I had a call that was clear.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
When you blow on a blade of grass between your thumbs, is the sound made from the grass hitting your thumbs, or the grass vibrating?

On a turkey call does the sound come from the latex reads hitting your mouth and tongue or from them vibrating?

Same with an elk call, 'yote call, etc. etc. etc.

Why would a duck call be any different?

:huh:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Totally understand that and I know the sound comes from the vibrations of the reed. However, it looks like the reed hits the board with every vibration. Let's see if this video will post

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
The tone board affects the sound, it doesn't make the sound...

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Also, that video is sweet! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Thanks and yes after the video I'd have to say it has a good bit of an effect on the sound with most of it being from vibrations

·
Registered
914 Posts
Obviously the sound is made from the Reed vibrating, that is simple physics. The real debate is whether the Reed touches the toneboard or not at the end of the reed.

It does at the end of every note or else each note wouldn't have a sharp end, it would fizzle out while waiting for the Reed to stop vibrating. You also wouldn't have delaminates reeds or redd impressions on the toneboard if the Reed didn't touch.

BTW iPhone 6 is only 240fps, my guess is that it would take at least 1000 to really see a Reed move

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I agree. Which is why I stipulated the tone board (how it's cut) effects the sound. I think we are agreeing Trevor.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yeah I knew it would be way too slow but was very surprised at how good the video came out. I think that's pretty amazing considering it's just a cell phone lol. Anyhow, I think it showed enough so everyone HAS to agree that the reed slaps all the way down the tone board

·
Registered
914 Posts
AWall3322 said:
Yeah I knew it would be way too slow but was very surprised at how good the video came out. I think that's pretty amazing considering it's just a cell phone lol. Anyhow, I think it showed enough so everyone HAS to agree that the reed slaps all the way down the tone board
I didn't even watch the video before but yea it shows it pretty decent for 240

·
2,741 Posts
Hhhmmmmm....it's a proven fact that a saxophone and clarinet reed doesn't touch the toneboard. Many articles written and alot of testing done and published. And once the operator stops blowing the instruments the sound doesn't fizzle out. Yep simple physics at play there.

Doesn't touch

Stump

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
stumpjumper said:
Hhhmmmmm....it's a proven fact that a saxophone and clarinet reed doesn't touch the toneboard. Many articles written and alot of testing done and published. And once the operator stops blowing the instruments the sound doesn't fizzle out. Yep simple physics at play there.

Doesn't touch

Stump
What??? How can you not agree that the dang reed touches lol. I dont care one way or the other on this whole deal but I did just put a video up that clearly showed it touching the whole length. Were not talking about a saxophone or clarinet here. :huh:

·
2,741 Posts
Physics is physics...a duck call is a reed/wind operated musical device that happens to sound like a duck.
So a video of a magic show....proves that magic is real? Heck I even watched WWE wrestling one night....looks real

STUMP

1 - 20 of 63 Posts