262 Posts
stumpjumper said:
Heck I even watched WWE wrestling one night....looks real

STUMP
At this point, Stump has quit preaching and gone to meddlin'. :yes:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Oh and just to call you on the physics is physics and stir the pot right back, what part of physics are we talkin here? :biggrin:

·
2,741 Posts
Knowledge

Stump

·
2,741 Posts
Not stirring anything. The answer is there.

Stump

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Answer to what? Its obvious the reed hits the whole length of the tone board from the video, beyond that I dont have anything to say about this, which is why I posted the video.

·
2,741 Posts
I must apologize sir. The IPhone slow motion feature as completely and without a doubt proven beyond a doubt of how duck call mechanics works. I shall now take that information and go back to my shop and attempt to build a better call now that the secret has been revealed. Thank you for shedding light on the subject sir.

Humbly
STUMP

·
Registered
235 Posts
Awall3322

Correct me if I'm wrong but your video shows you blowing air through the end of the insert. :huh: Isn't that the end that the sound comes out. :huh: Maybe I've been blowing a duck call wrong for all these years. Or maybe your video dosent prove :censored: because your blowing air the wrong way from the start. :help:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Stump didnt mean it like that at all bud. Just saying I was puting the video up to show that the reed does touch the whole toneboard and thats all. To the sound aspect of it you probably do know more than I do about it.

Bigkc82 said:
Awall3322

Correct me if I'm wrong but your video shows you blowing air through the end of the insert. :huh: Isn't that the end that the sound comes out. :huh: Maybe I've been blowing a duck call wrong for all these years. Or maybe your video dosent prove :censored: because your blowing air the wrong way from the start. :help:
No my video shows me sucking air through the call backwards which puts air coming through the call exactly the same as blowing from the other end since it is going to gather and flow through the same air channel in the call........so maybe the video does prove some **** as the fact is the reed touches the whole toneboard while in operation. No one here is yanking your chain so go back in your house.

·
2,741 Posts
From the words of my friend Doc Hull in regards to the study I was invited in on.

I have pursued this slap vs oscillate thing for a long time. My idea about this started many years ago when I figured out that Mylar hitting the sound surface over time would surely wear out fairly quick. I joined with five other call makers in 2006 or 7 to find some one to make a study of this and we were able to enlist a Physics Proff at Coe College in Cedar Rapids Iowa by the name of James Cottingham to do a study on how the sound is made in a duck call.
James Cottingham has published a number of studies involving reeded instruments sound over the years so he is a qualified expert.
Cottingham and his students published at least two articles on the duck call study and I have those findings in PDF files that I will make available to anyone who would like to see them. Wade Carpenter and Stump both have these files too.
The published studies in 2008 established the conclusion that the reed does not contact the surface of the insert during sound production. Instead if it does touch the surface the sound stops.
The reed oscillates at a very high frequency to produce the sound.
There will always be those who for some reason or other find it unbelievable that the reed does not slap.
I find it kind of interesting that many, if not most call makers have never understood the real production of the sound.
The question of why do we care and what will the information amount to.
The answer to that is if we understand sound production then we may be able to figure out how to make it better and how we can be more consistent in what we do.

STUMP

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
So let me see if I got this straight from yalls study. You blow the call, the reed oscillates very fast creating the sound(all of this is obvious to me) but then it slaps and stops the sound and then restarts its oscillation to creat the sound again? All of this happening so fast a person cant tell it of course.

·
Registered
235 Posts
AWall3322 said:
No my video shows me sucking air through the call backwards which puts air coming through the call exactly the same as blowing from the other end since it is going to gather and flow through the same air channel in the call........so maybe the video does prove some crap as the fact is the reed touches the whole toneboard while in operation. No one here is yanking your chain so go back in your house.
How can you come to this conclusion when your not even properly presenting the air through the insert? No sucking air through the insert is not the same. But whatever, I really don't care whether the reed hits the tone board or not. What bothers me is you want to argue with a man that makes duck calls for living, supplied you with proof and explained the research he's done. But NO!!!!, we're supposed to believe your little video!!!! You've figured it all out in less than a minute. Stop yanking everyone else chain and go back in your house!!!

·
2,741 Posts
AWall3322 said:
So let me see if I got this straight from yalls study. You blow the call, the reed oscillates very fast creating the sound(all of this is obvious to me) but then it slaps and stops the sound and then restarts its oscillation to creat the sound again? All of this happening so fast a person cant tell it of course.
You got part of it...but not all. Simply the reed never ever touches the toneboard....even when you stop blowing the call.

Stump

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
KC you didn't even read what I said or what? The air is being presented to the reed in the same manner whether sucking from one end or blowing from the other because it all has to pass through the same channel.... Try not to miss it when you read this post. Furthermore, your back acting like a 5 year old supposedly trying to defend stump since he's a call maker when stump himself said most call makers know nothing about this and even furthermore stump and I resolved the miscommunication you had no part in. I never claimed to know anything, I simply said in the video it looked like the reed slapped every time and since stump knows it does not that's fine. Oh and if your going to attempt to use my words against me at least get it right, I'm not yanking anyone's chain but stumps at this point and you come in to badmouth. We don't need any of that in here so STFU and GTFO. thank you

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
So the angle of the toneboard is cut so it allows the reed to move freely without actually touching? Interesting indeed.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts