Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now that I have my goose lanyard pretty much where I want it to be, it is time for me to focus on my duck lanyard.

I have been carrying only one call - a cheap poly HS call - blue and clear (Bill Collector, I think). I can play this thing pretty well, but I notice it has nowhere near the sound of some of the Foiles and others I listened to this past wekend.

What I am asking is what set-up of duck calls I should consider to cover all my bases - a two or three call set? I hunt primarily mallards, with a scattered golden-eye and teal. Very few pintails in my area. Right now, most of my hunting is concentrated in small rivers and ponds, I do get a few coincidental chances while set up in the fields for geese, and I am planning on getting into big-water shooting within the next year or so. Putting aside brand loyalties (Zink makes my favorite goose calls), what styles of calls would make a good matrix to address these hunting situations? I would prolly throw one wood in there, but I am definitely going Acryllic over poly - the poly sticks too much.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I only keep two calls on my lanyard, a loud one and a soft one. I'll leave the brands out of it. Go find a call you like and can blow well. This means going to the store and blowing all of the calls they have. Also, there shouldn't be a difference between a polycarbonate sticking or an acrylic sticking :huh:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
duckbuster06 said:
I only keep two calls on my lanyard, a loud one and a soft one. I'll leave the brands out of it. Go find a call you like and can blow well. This means going to the store and blowing all of the calls they have. Also, there shouldn't be a difference between a polycarbonate sticking or an acrylic sticking :huh:
No - I guess that was a sales pitch then, as a rep told em this weekend the acrylics tend to stick less. :rolleyes:

Two sounds good to me. I was so focused on goose calls this weekend at the show that I didn't even consider tryign any duck horns - too bad, as it was the best opportunity...the stores around here don't have much selection.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I would think that an acrylic in situations where the call gets very cold would probably more prone to continuous sticking than a poly.
I switched to wood because down here it really not all that cold and my experiences with arylic and wood have shown wood to stick less.

Only problem i've had with wood is swelling on particularly wet hunts.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have one call "utility based" lanyard set-up. I carry two mallard hen calls, one shortreed honker call and a whistle for pintails, drake mallards and whathaveyou.

While the good guys on this board can give you ideas on what we think is best, it is a trial and error process to find out what you are going to prefer.

I highly recommend a cheap plastic whistle for drake grunts and pintails... this call is HUGELY underrated and very effective in the right set of circumstances.

Of the two hen calls I carry, one is a loud single and the other is a quiet-to-mid range double reed. All last season my loud single was a JJ Lares A5, great call that doesn't stick. I found Tommy Salter after the season and got hooked on his calls bad. I have his Marsh Mouth on my lanyard now as my loud single,, it is in flamed osage orange,, best single reed I have ever blown. My double timber call is either an Echo Timber in Green Bois D'Arc or a Zink XR-2 (acrylic). Right now the Zink is on the lanyard but the Echo was on the lanyard the whole season with the Lares. I have a Gaston Timber double reed in acrylic that is growing on me,,, I like this call more and more every day.

Call makers to look at. (IMO)
- Kelly Beltz @ Kelly's Custom Calls (great guy, as custom as it gets)
- Gaston Custom Calls (Best craftsmanship I have found, DON'T STICK)
- T.Salt Calls (Best sounding single and WILL NOT STICK)
- Echo (Timber in particular)
- Watkins Custom Calls (Very user friendly, great singles, they DON'T STICK)

^^ALL MY OPINION^^ I encourage you to find a callmaker willing to talk to you and work with you on what is best. Any of the above will and they have done that for me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, I try to set up one lanyard that has it all. The reason that I do this is because if more than one is set up I might grab the wrong one in the morning, or if i ave all duck calls that will be the best day to shoot geese.

Anywho, my lanyard is set up with 2 duck calls and 2 goose calls, with a whistle.

My duck and goose calls are easy. For ducks I go with one "timber" call which is a softer call, and a louder call. I have the Echo timber diamond wood/poly(double reed) and the RNT Hunter(single reed). For goose I have a high pitched and a low pitched calls. I have the Bill Suanders I-5 Killer(high pitched) and an acrylic power clucker(which is tuned to be low pitched).

My whistle is a primos High Roller. A good whistle is very important because it can be as deadly as a hen call....when used correctly.

Now, this could be right for you, or it could be completely wrong. It works for me. Your lanyard is a very important tool and needs to be correct and deserves a lot of research. Go out and try as many calls as you can and read as many review as you can. I hope this helps. :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

I think I made that a bit confusing - I actually only intend to carry one lanyard as well - I should have said the goose section of my lanyard is nearly complete. I plan to carry 3 goose calls, and I guess two duck calls and a whistle sound about right.

My goose lanyard includes an SR-1, LM-1, and will soon have a wood call added - probably a Coco MM or a TSalt Gander Getter in walnut.

I am leaning towards the Timber Tamer from TSalt, and maybe a
XR-2 or a Marsh Mouth - I really like the sound of the TSalts, and Tom seems like a really cool guy to work with. I might also give a local guy my business for the second call, but I want a Tamer. As for a whistle - do you go for one with the pea, or without? I have a bunch of Foxes at home - would one of those serve?

·
2,741 Posts
Trav28 said:
Rumor has it, Mr. Salter makes a pretty good whistle. :yes:
Sure does. Now if I could only roll my tongue to get that great pintail sound :oops:

STUMP

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
stumpjumper said:
Trav28 said:
Rumor has it, Mr. Salter makes a pretty good whistle. :yes:
Sure does. Now if I could only roll my tongue to get that great pintail sound :oops:

STUMP
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ya might nwo be able to roll yoru tun but you an dQW can always do the gadwal song!!

I will be getting my own whistle here in a couple weeks just likes you stump. That wood is gonna look great!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have only 3 calls i use an Echo open water cocobola and a double nasty 2 poly and a 6 in 1 whistle.I may buy another one eventualy but i dont really need to. I dont have much over a hundred bucks in all three of my calls and im satisfied.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.