Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I were to purchase a duck commander call, which one should I buy? Any replies would be great. 8)

G

·
CANEMAN: Duck Commanders "Reacher" is a great call for close in quacks and comeback calls. It also has significant volume for greeting calls and the like for any distance within reason. It does however take a good amount of windpower to blow. It's also not the best for feeding chuckles.

The "Ole Raspy" call is quite easy blowing and is excellent for feeding chuckle, greeting, comeback, and paralyzing calls.

If you don't understand these calls find "Duck Commanders" video "The Art of Commanding Ducks" It's all the info you'll ever need about calling ducks. Hope this helps. Good hunting!!!

G

·
CANEMAN said:
I appreciate the info Quacking up in WA.
i think the red legged mallard is a good call to purchase but it is hard to blow it in but it will make a good raspy call the new tc02 is a a good call to if u like to hunt timbers

·
Registered
26 Posts
IMHO I think the whole "duck commander" is overrated. His calls, clothes, even him. But that is my own opinion. I would try an RNT, or a Folies.

G

·
I AGREE WITH RED LEGS, DUCK COMMANDER IS A JOKE. ALL OF THOSE VIDEOS ARE SHOT ON PRIVATE DUCK LEASES WHERE THEY CAN'T GO WRONG. THE DUCKS WOULD COME IN WETHER ANYONE WAS THERE OR NOT. ANYONE WHO WOULD PAY 200-300 FOR HUNTIN CLOTHES JUST BECAUSE OF THE NAME NEEDS SOME SERIOUS HELP.

I BOUGHT ONE OF ROBERTSON'S CALLS A FEW YEARS AGO AND ENDED UP THROWING THE DAMN THING AWAY. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When i buy a call i go to the orvis shop because i know the guy that runs it and just try out a few different calls to see what sounds the best and most of the time i like one that is less than $50. I would never spend more than that just because i will probably lose it even on one of those lanyards

G

·
YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE SOURCE... PHIL ROBERTSON (THE DUCK COMMANDER) HAS BEEN CHASING DUCKS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY FOR THE LAST 30 YRS. ........ I'M 25 AND HAVE BEEN USING HIS CALLS FOR 12YRS. I LIMIT OUT EVERY YEAR BEFORE EVERYONE ELSE AND I DONT JUST SHOOT ANY DUCK IN SIGHT I CHOOSE MY DUCKS. THESE GUYS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE. I HUNT AND LIVE IN SOUTH LOUISIANA. IF YOU WANT A CALL THAT SOUNDS LIKE A DUCK 'DUCK COMMANDER' IS WHAT YOU WANT.

G

·
I DON'T WANT TO BE CHASING DUCKS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. I WANT THEM TO COME TO ME................TRY HAYDEL OR A NEW AND UPCOMMING CALL CALLED GARCIES, MADE IN SHREVEPORT, LA. THESE WILL BE ON THE MARKET SOON. IF YOU FIND ONE...GET IT. THEY ARE OUTSTANDING.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My good friend makes the Chick Majors call out of Sttugart Arkansas.I do use his call however, I will say I also use RNT calls also made in Sttugart Ar. I hope my frend does not see this reply! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Duck Calls are subjective to each person's own calling style and ability. The only way to find one you truly like is to use it and call with friends or partners who can give you feedback! I personally use a Gaston Custom call in cocobola and a custom call made by a wise old duck hunter named Eddie Cribb in Florence, SC. Both calls give me the range I need for open water as well as those soft seductive sounds required for close in work or timber hunting. With prices being what they are for calls these days I use mostly wood calls for hunting--but I firmly believe wood calls offer a sound that is closer to natural than do high priced acrylics! All you competition callers can disagree-- but let me hear one of you blow your competition routine around me when I'm hunting and I guarantee I will be killing your ducks every time! best of luck this season to all-- Be safe, Be curtious, and take a kid hunting--keep our heritage alive!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i don't know who this widgeonsflight guy is on here, but he makes alotta sense. Calls are specific to each person, my buddy and I both blow contests around north louisiana, we both blow acrylic, and not to brag, but we both sound dang good (contests to prove it), but no matter how hard i try, i can't blow his call worth anything. He's thesame way with my call, he sounds horrible with my call. They are both made by the same person, MR. Jeff with Klear Magic. BUt i know Mr. Robertson, i have seen him, met him, and heard him blow. He's a good guy, honest and christian as can be, but he ain't the greatest there is, was, or ever will be. He does hunt on private waters where there are few water locations other than the one he's on. that makes it easy to get them in there. but he's a nice guy and i'd be honored to have him in the blind with me. But the only way to find a call that fits you is to take a buddy with you to a hunting show or another forum where the duck call makers would gather and start blowing calls, acrylic, diff kinds of wood, polycarbonate, single reed, double reed, blow everything you can get your lips around. And let your buddy back up a bit and listen for you. The callsounds different ringing in your ear then it does at a distance. And don't spend alot of money on a call, you will lose it, the more expensive it is, the more likely you are to lose it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was raised on duck commanders, but have been using a Primos wench II for the last couple of years. Its a good call. Nothing wrong with the duck commanders though. Them and the primos are I believe to be the best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess I am a bit of a snob, but I am a big fan of acrylics. If you don't want to shell out the money for one, then go with a delrin call, sounds as good as acrylic calls but not as nice looking. I own RNT, Echo, Taylor Talker, Fowl Language, and a Foiles SMH. Have tried other and use different ones for different areas I am hunting. The sportmans show are coming up soon, and you can usually find different call makers at them. Go around and try what ever you can get your hands on. Hook up with people that hunt, and see if they would let you try out some of there calls. I have owned cheep calls in the past, and will never go back. If you do get a acrylic call then get a good lanyard, and doulbe loop it. What I mean is put one loop on the insert, and one on the barrel of the call. Hope this helps some.

G

·
I own a duck commander. I know a lot of people that like them, but to me the call just sounds way too raspy. When I blow the duck commander it sounds almost like I were blowing a double reed. If you are just learning to blow a duck call you might want to look into some double reeds, but if you want to be able to blow that ranting hail call, then I would suggest getting a decently priced Primos. The "Yo Sista" sounds as good as a lot of high dollar calls, and it will run you a little under $25. Thats an investment most can afford to make and if you're not satisfied, you won't have to go bankrupt to get another good call. But I don't think you will be unhappy with the "Yo Sista".

·
Registered
8 Posts
any reccomendations for calling ringnecks or Blackjacks as they are called in LA? thats about all we get here in N Fla, other than woodies in the swamp holes

1 - 20 of 64 Posts