Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to how many people actually eat the ducks you kill?
I have several friends that are avid waterfowl hunters, but do not eat the ducks or geese they kill. Majority of the time they give them to me or others they know. And when I say do not, I mean never. Another thing, it's difficult to understand how so many people love eating canvasbacks...Then on the other hand they describe mergansers as "disquisting and fishy." I always thought mergansers & canvasbacks have basically the same diet such as fish, crustaceans, etc..

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I eat what I kill. I do have an old waterfowler who due to health problems can't get out anymore, but still loves duck and goose meat. I stop in periodically to make sure that he has 1-2 in the freezer. He will usually give me a handful of jerky for my trouble. Also have a lady at church that always wants a couple ducks 2 eat since her husband gave it up to hunt deer all the time.

Oh yeah, 4 of us cleaned out the freezer of all the ducks, canadas, and snow geese. We had 45 pounds of ground meat to make jerky with. The first batch was done last night at 11 and we didn't get the next batch curing until one. It tasted so good. Thank god for snow geese.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Me and my son have eatin everything we get here in kansas... theyve been acceptable... it depends on where your hunting..and gettin them too i believe...the ducks, (mallards) and canadas i got in nevada , i couldnt eat...tried but couldnt get them down...it depends on what they eat...the ones i got there by the river were i think native birds that were eatin rotten taters that were dumped by the river sort of as compost..??? they were really bad to me.... so maybe that has some differnce too... youd think the same birds would taste the same..but they dont.....

·
Registered
962 Posts
i am alot like mallard hunter give alot away to the others i hunt with or the people we hunt on or other "good ol' boys" around but yet i love some stirps of staked duck every once in a while

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
98ramtough said:
haha fatweed eats rotten tatered geese....

:yes:
:laughing: :toofunny: :laughing: I bet those spud eaters are nasty. I seen pics on another site of a dead greenhead that had been eating corn.....out of cow sh1t :yes: Wonder how that tasted :mrgreen: We eat all our ducks too. Well, we give some to our older neighbors, they'll eat ducks half a doz times a year probably, so not many.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I eat most of mine that i shoot. Although, like many of you, i give away some to those people around who like to eat em, but dont go shoot em or get the chance to, and if i fill up the freezer to fast ...(when you put a deer or two in there, pheasant and quail, and all the other game, it gets full quick) ... i give em away to whoever im hunting with or decide to cook my kill of the day. By the way, cutting up fileted brests into chunks and breading them then frying em tastes delicious on almost all types of duck and geese.

·
Registered
450 Posts
i eat what i kill. good thing for me my wife can really cook. she just bbq'd me some mallard mmm mmm mmm :thumbsup: . i have never shot a goose but i can't wait for a Christmas goose.

had

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I beleive the Canvasbacks are more of a plant eating fowl, rather than minnows that the Mergies go after. The Cans do love Wild celery and Sago pond weed, etc... But they will eat fresh water shrimp which are really tiny, like 1/2" long if not shorter. These shrimp are not at all like shrimp you buy in the store. The Freshwater shrimp are considered Macroinvertibrates and are high in protien which puts the fat on the birds that is required for their next stage of migration.

As with most, game, they will taste like what they eat. Just like Antelope often taste like sage from the sage brush they eat. Fowl are similar. I've seen fowl that were in the flax feeding for a week and were very oily when I cleaned them. Corn fed Mallards are awfully tasty. Just like corn fed beef or deer. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I eat all my birds, ducks grill the breasts or bake it with lots of onions peppers et...

Goose.. you have to make sausage!!! Mix 50/50 with pork meat and smoke em :getdown:

·
Registered
318 Posts
i thought this was going to be a thread about duck tuberculosis.:oops: well, i eat what i kill minus a few training birds (spoons or a stray diver) and a few that i give to entice my friends into hunting. it's worked on a couple so far.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.