Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have not heard a thing about it. What type of renovations do you think they are going to do. Because we just went though a renovation up here at Fountain Grove and they shut down half of the area this season.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do know that their will be renovations taking place in the B unit where the goose pits are. Last I heard they plan to use these units for duck hunting instead of goose hunting. The geese don't come down like they used to so they intend on using this area for duck hunters. They have some land on the south side of the area that will be renovated but for what for I have no idea?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I talked with some of the guys that are in the know down thier and they did say that unit b was going to be changed for duck hunting. They told me it would be at least two seasons before they started this. I agree that the geese dont come down as far or in the numbers that they used to. But Ive hunted geese on duck creek every season for the last 16 years and I always kill birds. I would like to see them make changes to the field but leave some of the field for setting up for geese. Maybe half the field flooded and the other dry? If you take blind 54 for example. It floods out about 50 percent of the field on its own now, and I can kill green heads every day out of it. But the north end is dry and makes a really good place to set up some floating goose decoys and my full body's. I have had alot of luck in the past that way. But we do need more blinds to hunt at duck creek.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone explain to me the Duck Creek works? From what I understand their are 3 sections of Duck Creek, and 2 of the 3 are daily draw. So I assume other (Greenbrier) is walk in? Pool 8 is wade in but borders Mingo? How does all that work out? I'm confused...

·
Registered
690 Posts
I was there this past year. Lots of ducks killed, lost of ducks seen. Yet I read the posts about how poor it is. So, I assume that the comparison is correct that that it much have been pretty darn amazing a few years ago.

The work that they are doing on the place is extensive. The place looks amazing.

Also, I drove through the refuge in the heat of the migration last year. Most ducks I have ever seen, and I have been to the refuges in TS and GP. Duck Creek holds a boat load of ducks, though, far away from the huntable areas.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
CP,you spend so much time in mo ,I am starting to think you never moved.If you spent as much time in tenn trying to locate good hunting there as you do driving around all the refuges in mo ,you might kill more ducks in a season. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

·
Registered
804 Posts
CP said:
I was there this past year. Lots of ducks killed, lost of ducks seen. Yet I read the posts about how poor it is. So, I assume that the comparison is correct that that it much have been pretty darn amazing a few years ago.

The work that they are doing on the place is extensive. The place looks amazing.

Also, I drove through the refuge in the heat of the migration last year. Most ducks I have ever seen, and I have been to the refuges in TS and GP. Duck Creek holds a boat load of ducks, though, far away from the huntable areas.
There were ducks killed there last year. "Lots" is a realative term. A decade ago the woods blinds, pools 2 & 3, were the place to be. Then A unit took over as the best producer by far. Last year A & B units were both closed due to construction and were not flooded so Pools 2 & 3 picked up some by default, no water anywhere else.

I was there at different times all season long last year, never saw 1/10th of the ducks you can see on the refuge at OS. And when there are lots of ducks on the refuge at DC most always seem to be Ringnecks.

Are you sure you weren't driving around on Mingo CP? That is a whole different story but it is not Duck Creek. Don't know how you drove around to see the great looking extensive work being done unless it was very late in the season cause most of the year they had it blocked off and there was no way to get back to it and see it.

You just said they hold "boat loads of ducks" on the refuge, far from huntable areas. :huh: The north end of Pool 1 IS the refuge and there are two hunting positions on the south end of Pool 1, don't know how you can get much closer than that. Are you sure you have been to Duck Creek? I still think you may have been at Mingo :lol3:

·
Registered
336 Posts
870shooter said:
CP said:

There were ducks killed there last year. "Lots" is a realative term. A decade ago the woods blinds, pools 2 & 3, were the place to be. Then A unit took over as the best producer by far. Last year A & B units were both closed due to construction and were not flooded so Pools 2 & 3 picked up some by default, no water anywhere else.

I was there at different times all season long last year, never saw 1/10th of the ducks you can see on the refuge at OS. And when there are lots of ducks on the refuge at DC most always seem to be Ringnecks.

Are you sure you weren't driving around on Mingo CP? That is a whole different story but it is not Duck Creek. Don't know how you drove around to see the great looking extensive work being done unless it was very late in the season cause most of the year they had it blocked off and there was no way to get back to it and see it.

You just said they hold "boat loads of ducks" on the refuge, far from huntable areas. :huh: The north end of Pool 1 IS the refuge and there are two hunting positions on the south end of Pool 1, don't know how you can get much closer than that. Are you sure you have been to Duck Creek? I still think you may have been at Mingo :lol3:
Have to agree here. A lot of the ducks killed here were woodies early in the season, but you just don't see the ducks in the timber like I used to when I was a kid. Hunted at DC several times last year and did well, but partly because of really good draws. Always tons of Ringnecks. So many that I won't even shoot at them. Hunted A1 last year, and could have easily limited on ringnecks had I wanted to, but I waited it out and got my 4 mallards and finished up on the ringnecks. I am hoping this work they are doing can bring it back to (at least somewhat) what it was when I was a kid. I have some great memories of hunting the timber at DC and still love too, but it just ain't the same anymore. With my son turning 6 this year, I hope for him to build some great memories at DC also.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
mjcraig15 said:
870shooter said:
CP said:

Have to agree here. A lot of the ducks killed here were woodies early in the season, but you just don't see the ducks in the timber like I used to when I was a kid. Hunted at DC several times last year and did well, but partly because of really good draws. Always tons of Ringnecks. So many that I won't even shoot at them. Hunted A1 last year, and could have easily limited on ringnecks had I wanted to, but I waited it out and got my 4 mallards and finished up on the ringnecks. I am hoping this work they are doing can bring it back to (at least somewhat) what it was when I was a kid. I have some great memories of hunting the timber at DC and still love too, but it just ain't the same anymore. With my son turning 6 this year, I hope for him to build some great memories at DC also.
MARK,think we could get another draw like that this year

·
Registered
336 Posts
swampcrawler said:
mjcraig15 said:
870shooter said:
CP said:

Have to agree here. A lot of the ducks killed here were woodies early in the season, but you just don't see the ducks in the timber like I used to when I was a kid. Hunted at DC several times last year and did well, but partly because of really good draws. Always tons of Ringnecks. So many that I won't even shoot at them. Hunted A1 last year, and could have easily limited on ringnecks had I wanted to, but I waited it out and got my 4 mallards and finished up on the ringnecks. I am hoping this work they are doing can bring it back to (at least somewhat) what it was when I was a kid. I have some great memories of hunting the timber at DC and still love too, but it just ain't the ad same anymore. With my son turning 6 this year, I hope for him to build some great memories at DC also.
MARK,think we could get another draw like that this year
Yeah i sure hope so. Probably one of the best years ive had a far as draw poitions i hunted on. Gotta get my new gun and head out to the range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.