Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sprigs, are blue winged teal not common to your flyway?
Not too common, Jay. Guys will get into some every year down here, but not like greenwings and cinnamons.
Beggers can’t be choosers, but damn I wish it was a drake.

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
Sure looks like a hen bluewing to me. What very few cinnamons I've seen were more spoon-billed.
Once again my sig line's origin has reared its annoying head. Cali boys on another board are busting our man's bubble, so I consulted the what many consider "the" authority on waterfowl ID and learned that while cinnamon bills do tend to stand out more (I kill me), the simplest tell is a hen blue-wing's more prominent dark eye stripe.

(The Cali bunch seems focused on the reddish shade of Kornfed's bird, which anyone can impart on a blue-wing with the help of a rising or setting sun or a poor (or poorly set) camera.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once again my sig line's origin has reared its annoying head. Cali boys on another board are busting our man's bubble, so I consulted the what many consider "the" authority on waterfowl ID and learned that while cinnamon bills do tend to stand out more (I kill me), the simplest tell is a hen blue-wing's more prominent dark eye stripe.

(The Cali bunch seems focused on the reddish shade of Kornfed's bird, which anyone can impart on a blue-wing with the help of a rising or setting sun or a poor (or poorly set) camera.
My quest continues.

which reminds me, I gotta pull that damn thing out of the freezer. couldn’t bring myself to take a knife to her. that’s right OG, I was holding out hoping I got my white whale.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm glad Rick is interested in this. You Louisiana boys are killing blue wings right now. I'm interested how prominant that eyepatch is this time of year. They were showing pictures of January birds. I would like to see pictures of mid-november birds. I'm not convinced one way or the other.

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
I'm glad Rick is interested in this. You Louisiana boys are killing blue wings right now. I'm interested how prominant that eyepatch is this time of year. They were showing pictures of January birds. I would like to see pictures of mid-november birds. I'm not convinced one way or the other.
Only had one bw this morning, and it was a drake. But I'll try to remember to take some head shots tomorrow if the op arises.

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
I saw your log three blue wings. I thought he will have some pictures today....It's all good, the seed has been planted.
They were the three birds that filled us out, so it would have been easy to take the photos while they were looking their best - if I'd the presence of mind to. Another play hunt in the morning with step son and grandson, so maybe then...

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
"Just hadn't realized how badly I needed a buddy hunt."
This statement means more than any pictures.
I hope you and them boys have a big time!
I like my job, and nearly all of the folks I take are good people and, aside from most thinking the birds blind, I don't mind the hand-holding so often necessary to help them succeed. But my little mudhole is far enough off the more broken marsh the little ducks naturally fly that it's a strain to watch those good folks suffer through listening to the better situated blinds bang away while we're seeing little or nothing and usually getting the more callable big birds we do see banged out by another blind. And this has been a season with a lot more of that than days when our end gets to make up for that with big, pretty birds when the little duck shooting slows, Hate to disappoint nice folks I know were anticipating better.

But Dave leased from us for years and achieved "old friend" status well back there. Plus he's a solid hunter and hand who carries his own weight and more, in or out of the blind. So while our slower than slow start was eating my lunch, it was "just us guys" with no working pressures whatsoever when our turn finally came around.

This morning it'll be back to reality trying to get young Ethan into a game much different than the video shoot-em-up stuff he's addicted to, as his dad could happily live in the marsh and Ethan's still disappointingly luke warm about it. So we'll see. Will be a labor of love at worst.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts