Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I went out to feed my ducks today, I noticed that one was laying down and could not get up. I looked at its feet, and they were all green and blistering like. I looked at all the others, and they're feet were starting to get the little green blisters, too. there was one that its feet were all dark black. I need your help on what to do!! I dont think the one will last much longer!!

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Call the university AG extension, or a vet.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Keep those black feet ducks away from the healthy ones for health's sake. Clean water is a necessity for these ducks so if your water isn't clean, it's most likely that a virus, infection, disease was spread into this water and the ducks caught it. I've never heard anything like this but i would seek dudejcb's advice.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ain't frostbite, its an infection. I've seen ducks feet frozen to a pond and they didn't get frostbite.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Look at there feces, tell the color of it, there diet and what it smells like. I may have a idea.

are the birds still vocal as usual? are they still eating?

J/k About the smelling thing.

I I was looknig at blood flow chart for them as we speak, something interesting:

ducks diving in 10 degree centigrade water could stay under 14% longer than those diving in 35 degree water.

there brain restricts blood flow to the brain the colder it is... So Go hunting for stupid ducks when it is COLD.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went and checked on them today and all the others are good and eating like normal. but they're poop is green and soupy like and still has undigested corn in it. the one that worries me is the pekin. he wont eat, quack, and all the water he drinks, he just shakes his head really violentaly and throws it all right back up. and he has not pooped for about a day. funny thing, we brought them all in the house and put them in the bathtub and filled it with water. they all splashed around, but the one pekin kept on pushing himself tight in the corner and he put his head underwater for a long time like he was trying to drown himself and would not bring it up untill I had to help him. he also lifted his butt and feet in the air and pulled his neck in really tight to his body when he was swimming. its not frostbite anymore, but he is really sick. I dont think the pekin will make it. :thumbsdown: :no: :sad:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the duck died somtime last night. when I tried to feed it last night it would not eat or drink at all. I just hope all the other ducks dont get it. I still cant figure out what it is that got him sick though. is there a place where we could send it in to get checked out to see if it had bird flu?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
thehunterteen said:
the duck died somtime last night. when I tried to feed it last night it would not eat or drink at all. I just hope all the other ducks dont get it. I still cant figure out what it is that got him sick though. is there a place where we could send it in to get checked out to see if it had bird flu?
You probably should call your DNR/Wildlife Commision or whatever its called in MN. They would want to know so if there is a problem they could isolate and track it. You probably should bag and freeze the bird in case they want it. Don't mean this as an insult but could what killed it just been side effects of old age?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts