Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a hunter for 45 years but never hunted for duck/goose. Looking for semi-auto gun recommendations under $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lots of good ones out there.

Retay
Weatherby element (my favorite)
Browning silver
Winchester sx3-4
Beretta A300
Remington V3
Mossberg
Tri star

take your pick and find one that fits you like a glove!

·
Registered
974 Posts
I would add the Weatherby SA-08--3" 12 gauge (new) and a clean, used 3" Browning Gold in 12 gauge. While I've never shot one, people speak highly of the 3" Beretta A300. If you want to shoot a 3.5 inch twelve, the Stoeger 3500 has a following of sorts. (We're talking affordable here.) Good luck in your quest... my best tip is to personally handle each potential candidate.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Look at Franchi Affinity, under $1000, great gun. I’ve had one for several years. I use it for waterfowl in the morning and then take it upland for pheasants in the afternoon. I’ve put thousands of rounds through it and not a single hiccup. I have some way more expensive autos and o/u’s but the Affinity has been my main gun for probably 5 years now. Just make sure you get a gun that “fits” or get it custom fit after purchase.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Look at Franchi Affinity, under $1000, great gun. I’ve had one for several years. I use it for waterfowl in the morning and then take it upland for pheasants in the afternoon. I’ve put thousands of rounds through it and not a single hiccup. I have some way more expensive autos and o/u’s but the Affinity has been my main gun for probably 5 years now. Just make sure you get a gun that “fits” or get it custom fit after purchase.
ah yes forgot franchi! Excellent shotty!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I currently have multiple 870’s and a Mossburg 535.

unless you just want a semi auto, either of those pump guns would make great waterfowl guns. Yes they will kick a good bit more than a gas semi auto. Guess it all what you are wanting?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unless you just want a semi auto, either of those pump guns would make great waterfowl guns. Yes they will kick a good bit more than a gas semi auto. Guess it all what you are wanting?
Yes, I would like to get a semi-auto.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Friend has a Weatherby SA 08 And it's been flawless. If it were me I'd buy a Tristar Viper G2.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I like my Mossberg 940 pro Series Waterfowl. It is under $1000 and has everything you need.

American made too if that matters to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Friend has a Weatherby SA 08 And it's been flawless. If it were me I'd buy a Tristar Viper G2.
I like the looks and info/reviews on the Tristar. Curious if anyone has one or actually handled one.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
Lots of good ones out there.

Retay
Weatherby element (my favorite)
Browning silver
Winchester sx3-4
Beretta A300
Remington V3
Mossberg
Tri star

take your pick and find one that fits you like a glove!
Would avoid the Weatherby (parts, local knowledge)
The V3 (history of bolt pin failure)
and the Tristar (not good history)

Much depends on what you want in a duck/goose gun. Gas or recoil? 3" or 3 1/2"? Camo, black, wood? Etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Much depends on what you want in a duck/goose gun. Gas or recoil? 3" or 3 1/2"? Camo, black, wood? Etc.
Interested to hear, on the Tristar, is the not good history personal experience? Everything I have read or watched has been positive.

I am looking at a Beretta a3 outlander used for $600. It is a little far of a drive. Worth it?

·
Registered
363 Posts

lmao well id take the Weatherby over any of them. Own 2 of them and they are flat shooters. Elaborate on the "local knowledge." I would wager that you can get parts from Weatherby with as popular as the Element has become.

Not a lick of trouble from my V3 either. Have a buddy that has ran thousands of rounds through his without a hiccup.

·
Registered
974 Posts
'Muddie' is critical of all Turkish-mfg, imported shotguns. That's nothing new.
His critical comment of 'local knowledge?' means nothing to me. I paid $319.99 + tax for my 3" Weatherby SA-08. Black synthetic stock and 28" barrel. (Some years ago.) Besides the fact that you need to switch pistons going from heavy to light loads... it's an inexpensive gas semi-auto shotgun that works. Turkish-made to Weatherby specs and quality control-- it's simply a shooter. SA-08 has been in production since 2008-- I don't see any 'parts-related issues' unless you would lose a gas piston. 'Never a hiccup from mine (so far) and I couldn't buy an extra barrel for a 'B-made gun for what I have invested in the SA-08.
I'm with Hunterhewi on this one...

·
Administrator
42,201 Posts
'Muddie' is critical of all Turkish-mfg, imported shotguns. That's nothing new.
His critical comment of 'local knowledge?' means nothing to me. I paid $319.99 + tax for my 3" Weatherby SA-08. Black synthetic stock and 28" barrel. (Some years ago.) Besides the fact that you need to switch pistons going from heavy to light loads... it's an inexpensive gas semi-auto shotgun that works. Turkish-made to Weatherby specs and quality control-- it's simply a shooter. SA-08 has been in production since 2008-- I don't see any 'parts-related issues' unless you would lose a gas piston. 'Never a hiccup from mine (so far) and I couldn't buy an extra barrel for a 'B-made gun for what I have invested in the SA-08.
I'm with Hunterhewi on this one...
Speaking of "B" guns I saw a utube review on that outlander and it was not complimentary at all. Pretty sure I'd never buy a Tristar though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts