Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am an Industrial Design major (Industrial Engineering minor) at NCSU and we have been give the "final" project for this semester which is biomimicry design, or in simple terms, design something based on what nature has already made. An example, maybe not the best one, would be a gorillas arm and a back hoe, or spider net catching flies and using spider web fiber to make bullet proof vest.... you get the idea.... Obviously I am very interested in ducks, so I decided I would study the duck in great detail and use something of the duck to invent or modify a product, machine, tool, etc. So with that said, anybody know of any good resources to find out the "nitty gritty" on ducks. I wanna know more about a ducks life and how his body works than any duck does, lol. BTW, this is a great excuse to do some scouting, I mean "observing the creature in its natural habitat to gain information and preform studies for my project" :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
189 Posts
How about analyzing how a diver uses its wings to swim an maneuver underwater?...Just and idea. Maybe the different duck bill shapes, designs, sizes and the purpose the serve in helping the duck to better feed and survive in their environment. Just some ideas from an NCSU mechanical engineering student. Go Wolfpack. Lets just hope we can :hammer: those heels on Wednesday. Good Luck on your project. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
You want to get an "A"? Figure out why a duck quack doesn't echo and implement into a duck call. Might want to patent that while you're at it.

As far as references, you might want to start w/ DU and/or Delta's website.

CT

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Camel Toe said:
You want to get an "A"? Figure out why a duck quack doesn't echo and implement into a duck call. Might want to patent that while you're at it.
Yea that definitely has crossed my mind several timies. I dont know much about sound, just mechanics... but all sound waves "bounce" off stuff so, either the ducks sound waves are of a ..... wait.... I am going somewhere with this, better not post it online for somebody steal, I will get back to yall.............

·
Registered
991 Posts
You need to look into the physiology of the duck. One thing I knkow is that ducks don't beat there wings up and down but in more of an eliptical motion. And how about how ducks fly, ie formation and how the wind currents from the duck ahead help the duck behind. Or even better how a duck uses it preening gland to waterproof its feathers. Those preening glands or preening feathers are call the cul de canard. Or CDC as fly fisherman call them. we use those CDC feathers to tie dry flies for trout fishing. Hope this helps some. Good luck, if you use one of my ideas and get an "A" please let me know, I'll have an invoice in the mail to ya! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you do something on flight, I have a GREAT book called Prairie Wings by Edgar Queeny that has tons of photos and drawings of different aspects of waterfowl flight. I would be more than happy to let you use it if you can't find a copy at the library.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alrite guys, Its been decided that i am doing diver ducks, and how they use the wings tail feathers and feet to fly and swim while diving down to feed. I am going to try and find the book Mr. Taxidermist mentioned. But if any of you have any info or know any resources I can find great info about the ducks, let me know please. I want to be as knowledgeable as possible on this so I need to know everything... lol
Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another very interesting thing about a duck is thier circulatory system and how it uses blood to regulate thier temp.. It Uses the heat loss throught thier feet and legs to regulate thier body temp under the downy feathers and vise versa. Have you ever seen ice on a ducks feet? why not.
Now think of geothermal heating systems and how the heat loss and gain through the ground loop is used to regulate the temp across a coil.
this could easily be translated into an engineering project by creating a circulatory pump from a constant source of temp tubed to a hot or cold environment to prevent overheating or freezing.
Excellent heat loss/Heat gain project.
Its the basic theory of a heat pump system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.