Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunt down in South LA. KIlled a bird this past weekend. Need help identifing. It was either a mottled or black duck. It was a hen with the colors of a mallard, maybe a little darker. The bill was orangish with black specks and the wings had no speculum or white bands. The wing had the same colors as the rest of the bird. What is this?? Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mottled ducks have a solid color bill usually greenish in color. If it had black specks on it's bill it was not a mottled. Black ducks usually look more like mallard hens but a little darker, like your descripion said, that would be my guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would have to say it may have been a hen mallard with a variation in color. Possibly a juvenile hen-resulting in the darker coloration. Black ducks do have a speculum on the wing but it's not as bright as that of a hen mallard. Blacks also often have yellowisn to an olive color bill and legs. This is the most popular puddler in my area on the saly marsh next to the gadwall. Hope i helped....Good hunting.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.