Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, we have several ducks near us right now that have black heads, white bodies, black tails and wing tips and have deep red bills. i have tried to identify but have had no luck. does anyone know what this may be? i thought it was a lesser scaup, but they don't have red bills (but that's what they look like, other than the bill). i believe they are divers! thanks! :help:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Hey kayaker,
Did you see these while kayaking out near the coast? The duck you saw was 99% Common Merganser. http://lavoieverte.qc.ec.gc.ca/faune/sa ... anser.html These are fish eaters look at their long pointed serated bills. Yes they are divers. They are actually a pretty large bird. Let me know if I'm right. Look up Red breasted merganser if it isn't a Common Merganser. Hope this helps, Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello everyone, thanks for your input. to pete-pec, i think you might be right, the site you provided gave me a better pic than some other sites. i think this may be it - the common merganser. we've tried to get closer to get better pics of them, but they move too fast or fly away. they are probably migrating. we see them in the wild at one of our local lakes. we've seen a few new ducks lately, but this one has been around for about a week so far. our usuals are the cormorants and the mallards. we are in southern pa. if i had a better pic, i'd put it on the site, but they're just too far away. we had our binoculars and that's how we saw the red bills (and then they did a fly-by) but they were too quick for us to get our cameras up! thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Kayaker,
Glad to help! We have tons of migraters coming through right now. Rafts of divers. Wednesday I was at our local river, and counted 9 different types of waterfowl; Buffleheads, Barrows and Common Goldeneyes, Ringnecks, Hooded Mergansers, Lesser Scaup (Bluebills), and our usual puddle ducks Wood ducks, and Mallards, along with thousands of Canada Geese. If you get stumped on another species just let us know, and we'll probably be able to help you out. Stay dry, Pete

·
Registered
380 Posts
Don't Ask me WHY.....I Always Consider a Merganzer as a Fish Bird, Not a Duck......When someone Says, Help ID this Duck or What is this Duck, I don't Even think Merganzer, I think a Duck, Mallard, Woodduck, Teal, Ruddy, Blue Bill, Canvasback, Redhead, Ect........

I Personally Class them with the Cornmerants, STINKY FISH EATING Birds, that Crap all over the Rocks in the River!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
along with this duck - the merganser, i have been able to identify a few buffleheads with my binoculars as well. there was another pair of ducks on the water the same day we found the mergansers, but even with the binoculars i couldn't tell what they were. hope to see them again and get a better look. weather here hasn't been good enough to get out the kayaks so that we can be right down there next to them!! our greatest find has been a bald eagle nest, along with 3 adult eagles. we were about 30 feet from one the same day we saw the ducks and got some awesome shots of the one. i got a few of the nest (with mom sitting on it), but that pic is very distant. if anyone wants to see, i can surely post the best one!! we're going out again today, so you may hear from me again with questions. thanks for all your help!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
kayakingonh2o said:
our greatest find has been a bald eagle nest, along with 3 adult eagles. we were about 30 feet from one the same day
You Really do need to stay Back away from this nest! If you are getting with in 30 feet of the Eagles and the Nest, your Getting too close.
Try staying back atleast 150 yards......

Does the PGC know about this nest? If they Don't, you should contact them so they can keep track of it and know what the Breeding Success is on this nest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi there, i should have made myself more clear. we were about 30 feet from one of the eagles. he was in a tree next to the trail. the nest is on a peninsula that is strictly preserved for this purpose - nesting. that's why my nest pics are just ok - it's too far for my zoom lens (10x optical) to see it really really clear!! thanks for your concern, though. and the officials for the park do know about the nest. can't wait to see how many little ones appear. i think they have between 1-3 hatchlings. thanks, vicki

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you get a chance, Go up to were the Susquehanna River and the Juniata River Meet, and Kayak in the summer.

There is an Island Called Haldemen's Island were they First Hacked Eagles here in PA back in the Early 80's. There is a Pair of Eagles nesting on it.

You can have a Nice Kayaking Trip and get to see many different types of Water fowl, along with the 2 eagles and the Fledgelings from the spring.

I've been Duck Hunting up there and had them fly in and Perch on Trees near me.
Very Neat thing to see!

Holding 1 is Even BETTER! :thumbsup:
Not to many Folks ever get to do that!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Woody,
I duck hunt in northern Wisconsin, and on two seperate occasions, had a Bald Eagle grab one of my decoys and fly away with it for about ten yards before dropping it. I don't know if the "old Eagle eye" applies to these perticular birds, because I was using my father in law's decoys that are pretty colorless and about thirty years old. Unless the eagle thought he was picking up a Coot! :laughing: Pete

·
Registered
380 Posts
Pete,
When I hunted South Carolina Back in 1994, We had Eagles trying to snatch the Ducks we were shooting when they were Flat out on the Water.

Had to Holler at them to chase em away!

I heard up near the place I posted about, Guys were saying the Eagles have made passes at their Decoys in the Early light!

Never had it happen to me, they just would come flying in and land on a Tree Limb behind me and set there and watch.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
i've had big ol' hawks take a run at ducks working our dekes before...in fact, i had one particular hawk sit up in a tree not far from where i was set up and wait for me to bring in the ducks so he could take a run at them.

also seen eagles knock ducks down..and saw a big bald eagle put one heck of a SMACK on a cormorant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.