Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting into duck hunting this year, which means I haven't even been yet. How in the world do you identify ducks in the air?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Body shape, wing speed, grouping within the flock, and as they get closer - coloration.

Basically it boils down to pratice to ID birds.

Pick up some Bird ID that are availble - one has the various ducks and geese silouhette profiles coming at you,sidway, and overhead which is quite helpful.
Also hunt with a season hunter so he can help you ID.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You might want to check you state offices. In Kansas you can get a waterfowl ID book from the state for a dollar and they are really nice they give you different angles of the bird and there silhouettes

·
Registered
286 Posts
It coast a dollar if you order it out of the fall hunting regulations but the one I got I think I just picked up at the Fish and game regional office.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Cool... think i picked the old one up ive got that way too...hehehe think ive had mine about ten years... heheh wonder if the ducks have changed since then..??? dunno....hybrids..??? could be... ive seen pics of wild hybrids they claim...?? wonder how regulations would go... like what would they classify the species as,,as far as bag limit..??? hmmmmmm point to ponder... but then again...i guess ya shouldnt be shootin and unknown duck huh..??? hmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah well we should shoot at them tell we can tell what they are then they are fair game in my book.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm a first year hunter and I had my first duck hunt last week and it eaiser then it sounds ducks look differnet then alot of birds and you'll get use to how the birds look.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It's hard to explain how you know what is what in the air. The best way I can describe it is "You just know..."

It will take some time in the field, but you will eventually be able to tell the difference by the speed of their wing beats, the movement of a flock of birds, the size of the bird and the speed that they fly.

yeller

·
Registered
352 Posts
davy said:
I'm just getting into duck hunting this year, which means I haven't even been yet. How in the world do you identify ducks in the air?
I have been hunting for a long time and duck id comes from practice, but about 4 yrs ago someone bought me the Browning Duck Hunting game for P.C. this game does give alot of advise on how to identify birds in a live shot/game atmosphere. Give that a try, along with just studing your id booklets and you will be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts