Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm wondering what recipes do you guys use when cookin your ducks. I'm getin down to about 10 ducks and was wanting to try something different on the last couple. SO any recipes will be a appreciated! Oh and I would not have posted this here but sense there is not a Misc. catogory I thought this would be fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A quick and easy favorite of mine.

Cut the duck breasts into strips about 1/4 inch thick.

Soak the strips in saltwater overnight....this will help get the blood out. I tend to keep washing them over again to get as much as possible, than pat them dry.

Put the strips in a crockpot, and fill with BBQ sauce until covered. Set it on low for about 4-6 hours.

When finished they make killer bbq sandwhiches, and I've yet to find a non-believer.

Enjoy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Chris, I learned that one from you two years ago and it's my favorite reciepe hands down. It gets rid of a lot of meat as well. ie the roommates help themselves, especially when they have the drunken munchies. :salude:

·
Registered
110 Posts
pj said:
Chris, I learned that one from you two years ago and it's my favorite reciepe hands down. It gets rid of a lot of meat as well. ie the roommates help themselves, especially when they have the drunken munchies. :salude:
Oh ya...I forgot how many people have tried the bbq. I can't say it's any hidden secret, just meat, crock pot and bbq and you're set. Like any waterfowl though, it's getting the blood out ahead of time to help cut out the game taste.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
We like to deep fat fry ours with some fish breading. I will post another message once I find out what it is. It is extremely good. We also like to wrap pieces in bacon and cut a slit in the middle to put a jalapeno. Then cook em' on the grill. That is also very good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As much as I spend hunting duck I have only found a few ways that I can take the strong taste. :eek:

The best that I know of involves; duck, jalapenos, bacon, and a BBQ grill.

Bone the breasts out and slice each breast in half length ways. Slice each half of breast 4/5 the way thru (as you would when cutting them into fillets). Stuff split breast with peppers. Wrap the stuffed breast halves with bacon and place on Grill. :thumbsup:

This has become about the only way I prepare duck now. :getdown:

Bring'em down

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
MMMMMMMMM

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Indaswamp said:
To the O.P., check the recipe forum...lots of good ones there. :thumbsup:
My goal is to come up with a beter recipe than Inda this season. Christ almighty, if you fancy yourself a game afficionado, check out the gumbo recipe he posted. I made that last year: epic!!!

·
Administrator
77,184 Posts
FMFdevildoc said:
Indaswamp said:
My goal is to come up with a beter recipe than Inda this season. Christ almighty, if you fancy yourself a game afficionado, check out the gumbo recipe he posted. I made that last year: epic!!!
Thanks FMFdevildoc... :thumbsup: I made a 4 gallons of chicken and Andouillie sausage gumbo tonight... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
How cool would it be if we had a section just for recipes? :tongue:

Poor man's Sous Vide:

Prep -
Vacuum seal duck breasts with thick cut bacon strips on both sides. I usually do 6 breasts per bag
Freeze and thaw as needed

Cook -
Nearly fill crock pot with water
Set your crock pot so that it maintains a steady temp of around 140 (keep warm setting on mine)
Drop in vacuum packs
Cook for 5-6 hours

Sear -
Olive oil in large skillet
Add bacon from packs and brown it nicely
Add duck breasts, salt, pepper, a little red pepper if you like
Sear breasts lightly and remove to side (they should be medium rare at most)
Add dijon mustard and white pepper to the drippings and reduce to a dark brown thick sauce (use more less mustard, depending on how much you like mustard)
Slice rested breasts on bias and place on bed of wild rice
pour on sauce and crumble bacon on top

Eat

·
Administrator
77,184 Posts
FMFdevildoc said:
Indaswamp said:
The duck and cauliflower soup is one of my favorite soups!!!! :yes: :thumbsup: Try it man!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts