Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just graduated from college in Maine (with four years of Maine waterfowling) and I'm living in Litchfield, CT now. I would like to get out next season, but I'm having trouble finding duck hunting opportunities in the area. Now I don't expect to get any secret spots here, just some advice on where I can get some shooting in. I'd like to start scouting some suggestions. I use a kayak for access...

Thanks!
Ian

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I never really hunted that area ....but you are not far from the shore heading down Rt8....there are alot of areas there that are protected enablinmg you to use a yak.....tons of tidal creeks (in fact, that is what I bought my kayak for when I was in CT)......you have alot of streams and ponds/marshes from beaver flows all over your area....find a topo and wear down some boot leather!.......Ever travel up to the Torrington area? Winstead/Colebrook?.....How 'bout the Housie!? Lot's of woodies in the first couple weeks of your season.

Try the CT River system and the farmington......all great areas for puddlers and geese........there are alot of fields for goose hunting in the immediate Litchfield area.......and golf courses too.

I donot have any real specific starting points forya, since whenever I hunted down that way I was with friends....I am from Wethersfield. I hope someone else can be more specifc forya! C'mon guys.........

·
Registered
302 Posts
CereopsisCT,

There are some good public spots try going to the state web site
dep.state.ct.us and go to hunting areas, you didn't say if you had a boat
pick up a copy of ct lakes & streams for some good leads. The Housatonic is good, Candlewood lake & many smaller ponds, The coast can be really good if we have cold weather & you should look into hunting New York state. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.