Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I really have a question that through personal experence and talking to professionals have not been able to get answered. your answers would be greatly appreciated. Do you put geese decoys in or around you duck spread or leave them out. or can you put them out just keeping them away from the duck spread????

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used to do alot of field hunting in Brazoria county, just south of Houston.

We hunted pretty close to water and would put out a mixed bag of dekes.

Seemed to work ok.....shot lots of geese and a few ducks...the ducks didnt seem apprehensive about flying in to the large spread of ducks and geese...

I would say if you got them, use....it always seemed to help me out a little.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
We always put ours together most of the time when we know some geese may be coming in. I have never seen a difference in ducks or geese not liking the other species around as far as hunting them goes.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
We use them both, but kind of seperate them a bit. We put our divers and geese out the farthest (I'm talking water here) putting the divers in a string at our max shooting distance. We put our geese decoys in a clump to our max distance to either the right or left of our spread. (we don't clump them up too much as to make the goose decoys look "nervous") Next we put our puddle ducks closer to our blind leaving a hole for the "call hen" and/or the spinners and Mallard Machine. I want to mention that around these parts the geese will not come into spinning wing decoys. So it is important to have the ones with remotes that you can shut down when the geese are working. Wings cupped, Pete

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll put out 14 goose floaters off to one side of the duck decoys spread. Late in the season, I might also simply put out a spread of 3 dozen geese and leave the duck decoys at home, even though I'm after ducks. I have seen the ducks fall into goose decoys when the avoid every pure duck spread around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.