Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever try and eat a Merganser or Eider. . . I think you would be better off eating a pine board?!?!? So, is it ok to breast out the "less edible" birds put them through the meat grinder and feed to your hunting dog?

I have heard that this will make the dog like the "taste" of duck and tear up birds during the retrieve?

Duck Mann

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
gsp is right. more times than not the dog is not smelling the meat of a duck when he retrieves it. (especially in water) usually it's the myraid of other smells associated with a duck that he recognizes. either way, he won't recognize the cooked smell of the meat. donnell, i don't see how this would be illegal. i don't know of a state that has a law that says anything about what you do with the animal after you harvest it. (except for selling wild game.) i don't think they care whether you throw it away or what (leally anyway). now ethics is a different story, but there is little legality involved with that, if any at all. if you have info that says by law that you have to consume wild game that you have harvested, i'd like to see it.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
SC-

Donell is right on the money with his statement. I know for Washington and Idaho you cannot waste game. You cannot throw it away. Most the time it is never a problem but why would you shoot ducks just to feed it to your dog anyway? What a waste.

I keep a few birds for training, but by doing that I lose far more cripples than guys who do not. I don't see this as a waste. Jerkey those crap tasting ducks or don't shoot em.

JMO- Mike

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
98, just for clarity, i don't agree with shooting and not eating either. i don't want to sound like i condone that. however, i don't know how a law like that can hold water. the problem is, what defines "waste"? feeding your dog a duck is not waste, the dog needs to eat and it's your responsiblity to feed him. what if i try a particular recipe i don't care for? can i feed that to my dog because i don't like it or does this law force me to eat it? what if it falls off the grill and gets dirt all over it? can i throw it away or is that waste? then you have to question how much of the animal you harvest can be utilized. if i only breast a duck, am i not "wasting" the legs, edible organs, etc.? everyone wastes harvested game to some extent or by some definitions. there isn't any clarity at all with this. do you mind posting a link where i can see these laws to get a better understanding of them based on their terminology? i would be interested in checking that out....thanks.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
shrpshtr- come on man. Comon sence has to take place somewhere.

As long as someone is not shooting ducks just for fun and feeding them to the dog I don't really care. I give my dog a piece of the cooked duck every once in a while. I don't drop stuff off my grill. mmmmm

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't see a problem feeding my dog duck meat.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
common sense has nothing to do with it. my point is the legality of it. i understand what you're saying but i wanted to see the law as it's written so i can interpret it. either way, if it does exist, you can see how easy it would be to shoot holes in it. that's exactly why they usually don't exist at all.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Pg. 13 of the Washington State Game Regs

It is unlawful to

-Allow game animals or game birds you have
taken to recklessly or intentionally be wasted.

There is always a large amount of gray area here, but this is where a guy must use commonsense.

shrpshtr said:
common sense has nothing to do with it. my point is the legality of it. i understand what you're saying but i wanted to see the law as it's written so i can interpret it. either way, if it does exist, you can see how easy it would be to shoot holes in it. that's exactly why they usually don't exist at all.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
hey man,

i didn't realize we were arguing. we can have a difference of opinions right? really...

i simply don't understand/agree with your's or 98's position on the legality of this. the whole purpose of me asking for more information is so i could better understand your position. it isn't/wasn't to argue with anyone. it certainly isn't anything personal. i haven't told either of you that you were wrong or questioned your sense (like you have mine several times throughout this post.)

my whole point was that it seems to me that your letting your ethics dictate what you believe is legal or not. i am not. this goes back to the thread about legal hunting practices thread in the honey hole. just cause you don't agree with it, doesn't make it wrong.

again, i want to stress, i don't agree with it myself...but that doesn't make it illegal.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Shrpshtr- Do me a favor please. Compose an e-mail and send it to a federal game warden and ask him if feeding your DOG the ducks that you shot is legal? I await your reply!

Are you saying that if someone shot a nice elk, and fed it to his dog it wouldn't be wasting it?

I will keep feeding my dogs dry kibble for now.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have heard of guys feeding venison to dogs on a regular basis. My shorthair got it for a while because she was getting really thin durring season while we were working hard. Couldn't get her to eat enough food to stay thick so I gave her more venison with beef fat added. She does not eat it all the time though.

Guess I could understand both sides of this issue. I never really thought about it when I fed it to my dog.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I really don't have an opinion, but I will say that this talk made me curious...so I googled it. I looked up feeding wild game and waterfowl to dogs, and returned quite a few different hits of people feeding raw and cooked food to their dogs, much of which included game animals. Some vets weigh in on the appropriate way to feed wild game to your dog (which for the most part means cooking it), and on a final note, the dogs in the Iditarod are given wild game such as elk, caribou, seal and beaver. Beyond cornish hens and chicken I did not find references to waterfowl. I am not trying to debate the ethics of this practice, nor the leaglity. Infact, I found no mention of it's illegality, but to be truthful I'm sure I could have searched more. There would have to be more sleuthing to determine whether or not is illegal. again, I have no dog, thus I have no opinion. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
When I did alot of rabbit hunting some of the guys I hunted with would feed their hounds rabbits and as long as they were cleaned and cooked the dogs never tried to eat a fresh killed bunny. When I hunted with big hounds Red Bones & Blue Tics I used to get meat scraps from the butcher shops and feed that along with my dry dog food to the hounds also used to get some herring from the fish processors for free( they only wanted the roe) and would boil that up and feed it out to the dogs. Realy made their coats shine and kept them in great shape while we hunted them hard every nite or two. As for using ducks for dog food WHY??? If you don't like duck give them to some one needy in the area who would probably appreciate it. And if you are doing it because you cannot afford dog food ask for some help until you can or sell the dog.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.