Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my yellow lab has never had any trouble retiving at all last seson she was mostly used for feild goose hunting and never had a problem retiveing geese..... this season i have stated useing her for both a water duck hunter as well as a feild goose hunter when the other day while we were in our duck blind and had a single goose fly by so i got on my honker, brought it in and droped it...she had already retived close to 2 limits of ducks that day with no problem at all... but when she swam out to the goose she swam up to it and just turned right around and came back to the blind ... i have no idea what to do... she will swim out to every one smell it and then turn right around and come back ... the other day i even took a shot goose and tryed getting her to retive it like a bumper... same thing ran right up to it , turned around and came back... i am lost... she was making retives on 20 lb geese when she was 5 mouths old off the ground and water and all of a sudden this .... plz help :help: :help: :help:

thanks to all who help
yellow

· Registered
27 Posts
Did your ever get attacked by a cripple or live goose? I have a buddy who has a lab the got ruffed up by a cripple goose when it was younger and it was affraid of geese from that point on. It took alot of work to get him back on geese, and even now he doesnt like them, he will go grab a dead goose and grab it by the neck and beat its head on the ground a few times before it brings it back. Actually kinda funny, hes gonna make sure they are dead from now on.

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not that i know of but she has been hunting a few times with out me ... (she is out of my brothers pointing lab and she broke her leg and they always go to mississippi and hunt so i let him take my dog on last years trip, but she still retived geese after that last season) the only think i can think of is she did watch a younger dog get rolled by a cripple when we were hunting in a feild with 2 dogs (her and a younger dog, we were letting her go after long flyers and him after the close ones to get him started)

thanks
yellow

anymore help as far as breaking this problem would be apercatived

· Registered
82 Posts
try takin her to a lake or pond and throw a dokkens canada goose out there a couple times, then without lettin her know, sneak a real goose in there and toss it out........................when my lab was like 5 months i had the same problem, only with ducks. So i threw out a dokkens Dead fowl trainer then threw a teal out there and she did just fine.....shes retireved every duck ive shot since then

· Registered
17 Posts
i had a friend that had the sae problem with his dog it wouldnt retrive the goose in the water but it would in the field we finaly figured out that the dog couldnt keep his head up out of the water when he had the heavy goose in his mouth so he wouldt pick it up unless he could stand in a shalow pond to retrive it u might see if thats his problem.he worked his dog in the off season on heavy bumper got him beefed up and confidant that he could swim with a heavy object in his mouth worked out good the next season

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i though that might have been the problem as well but the other day when we were feild hunting she did the same think ... had a group of green heads come in shot 4 sent both dogs out ...she was just fine... next i was liek ok ... big group of honker came in ... 3 down so sent both dogs ... none my brothers ended up getting them all for us...but that dose make seince what was happening to your friends dog... maybe she jsut got used to herself not getting geese after all the water hunting we have been doing and got a bad habit...
thanks yellow

· Registered
2,183 Posts
My dog is like that. He will go to the ends of the earth to retrieve ducks and snow geese. Dropped a canada last weekend, and he went up and nudged it, but wouldn't even try to pick it up. Just keep working with her. If you got room save a goose, and work with her on it. Let us know how it turns out.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
I am sure it is just confidence, you have to build her up to it. Get a dumby and fill it with sand or something, slowly build her strength. Then tape a pillow around a dumby and put goose wings on it. Get her used to retrieving heavy things and large things....

Sounds funny but it works...

Mike

· Registered
121 Posts
My black lab would do the same thing last season. He was a duck retrieving machine but any geese we shot over water he wouldn't retrieve. Over the summer I bought a goose dummy from Cabelas and worked with him all summer to build his confidence up. Now he doesn't even hesitate to go after geese in the water. In fact he even retrieved the Tundra swan I shot this fall. It probably took him 3 months and hundreds of retrieves this summer to get confident.

Nemont

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
... yeha she is a really smart dog ... so i am sure she will be fine if i really work on here for a couple of weeks...but if seems liek confedice is the thing ... i will try that frist and hope it works... i don't wnat to have to force fech her ..i am not mean enough...lol

thanks a lot guys.. yellow

· Registered
505 Posts
My Little Buddy got attacked by a cripple when he was a pup. I thought Oh no he'll never retrieve geese again. He still retrieves geese, but now he grabs thier necks and kills them if they are still alive. In the water he actually grabs them by the neck and holds their heads underwater. Man a vicious killer. I would try the Dokken decoy. Try throwing it about 6-7 times. If the dog retrieves it , throw a dead goose out and see what he does. Hopefully the pattern will stick and solve your problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.