Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how big of a hole would you need to pull ducks into the timber. We are thinking about making a hole about 200x100 yards big in the timber next to a small creek. Would that be big enough. Theres several small holes already and we get alot of wood ducks but rarely any mallards. We hunted a flooded crp field less than a mile and had about a 1000 ducks in there.If we do this we would be able to drain it and plant feed for them, which brings up another question. how much sun light would millet need to grow? What else could be planted? About half of this is in a clearing where there is currently grass. Just looking for some ideas. thanks guys.

·
Registered
598 Posts
That size hole should be plenty big. I have one that's not even that big. Probably 100x100 if even that big. Get alot of mallards, woodies, mergansers, teal, and the ocasional pintail. They use it mainly as a roost. If you are set up right it is awesome hunting.

I can't help you with the plants and stuff. There's no food in my hole, just a bunch of willows surrounding it. Hope this helps out. :salude:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dang, now that's a hole. We occasionally hunt timber in a hole about 75x75 and that's plenty big. If the ducks want to be in a perticullar spot the will fly though tree limbs to get there. 200x100 sounds like a lot of work. Good luck man.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
A hole that size may work fine. We have an odd shaped timber hole about 250 yards long and about 80 yards wide. We do pretty well considering the competition. About a mile west of us is 150 acres of flooded corn. If they are not hunting, it turns into a refuge and it is tough to draw the birds.

Planting food helps. Millet is easy to grow and with an opening like you have described, you should have no problem growing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.