Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am positive I used at least half my hevi shot swatting crippled birds from guys I hunted with. Pretty expensive way to kill cripples but it sure worked pretty well. It was all worth the money to me when I killed birds that would have swam off and disappeared in the reeds. Seeing that I had to hunt with a lot of unknowns this year(I hunted with a guide here in OK) I got to see too many guys shooting from too far out. The last few hunts I went on here I actually carried a box of hevi shot just for killing cripples. I normally shot Kent Fast Steel #2.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Here are the things I think help the most...

1) If you can see the bird is not dead, shoot them another time on the way down so they fall dead.

2) Bend down even with the water when you shoot at them, get at thier level to take the shot. This will make it better to get the head shot on them.

3) Get a good dog to swim them down.

Mike

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
If you find that you are getting that many cripples its time to let the birds come a bit closer and to extend your lead a bit. A good dog can also eliminate the loss of cripples. If you have to shoot at them then aim low and just in front of their head with whatever shot you are using this puts most of your pattern on the head area of the cripple.

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're working cause your starting to get some tail feathers.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting / fishing.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Greg Wile said:
If you find that you are getting that many cripples its time to let the birds come a bit closer and to extend your lead a bit.
Sage advice. :thumbsup:

Thundersnow said:
6's with a full choke are the way to go. Gotta get some pellets in the head. Also aim a little low and you'll have pellets bouncing off the water hitting them, too.
But the lighter stuff (4s & 6s) blows with the wind if there is a good wind out. Nice dense pattern-but a 30 mph crosswind will blow it to the side of them. As for the full choke, well considering most manufactures do NOT recomend a full choke and most guys shoot better with a Mod or even a IC, unless you have an extra gun to the side just for crips using the 6s and a FC, then not too practical IMO. Oh and some states and most of CA do not allow multiple loaded guns per person while a field. Aiming a tad low is indeed good advice from my experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.