Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! New to the site. I hope someone can offer some help with my situation.

I have a 3 1/2 mo old lab who already knows all the basics and is a great retriever excited and focused when training. However, when I throw and send her she chases it down but with some anger, growling while running and upon picking it up she growls and gives it a "death shake" and growls all the way back before giving it back to me in a somewhat gentle manner???? How would I repremand in action????

Its like an "evil switch" is turned on the second I send her. Then I notice somtimes when just playing she does want to engage in a tug-o-war match, which I never encourage. Should I to realease some stress-energy?

Why so agressive??????

Hope someone can help, Thanks!!!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the responce I will see what I can do to limit the shaking.

I know that she is kinda young to be training but eversince we got her she was willing to fetch for play (Good!!) so I didn't discourage. But maybe I am expecting a little to much from her now.

What to you think of this opinion that another dog owner came up with. "Since she is young, her teething might have something to do with it"??? I thought that it was a valid point since dogs do sometimes get restless when chewing for teething???? Maybe I'm mistaking a growl for a restless whine. I don't know hopefully she will grow out of it.

Again thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks muskiemac I think that this might be a great idea. I think that we could both use the break from fetching. I think that it was stressing me out "All that money on the dog and it eats the damn birds" - It would be great if I sucked at shooting she would shake it to death before I had to wring its neck. :hammering:

I know that she will come around. She is already calming down a little bit and paying better attention to my comands. Thanks for the help!!!

How do you feel about whistle comands? When should I throw them in if I decide to use them?

1 - 3 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.