Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a echo 'open water call a couple months ago. It is the best sounding call I have ever heard. I compared it to a couple RNT's and think it is a better call. I'm thinkin of buying their timber call too. Anyone have one? Let me know what you think of it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
the echo timber is the call i learned to call on. it's sounds decent, but i think RNT is far better. i don't think you get that good "traditional" sound that you do with most other calls. it is definitely just a "timber" call. to me, it's pretty tough to roll a good long feeder call through. the call is very durable and blows soaking wet without any problems. hth!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
3 world championships in a row is a pretty good indication of a quality product to me. Their "Boss" comp call has an unbeleivable track record in sanctioned contests. I think it is a good representation of their whole line. The guys I hunt with that blow Echo calls sound great, and they sure help kill plenty of ducks. :thumbsup:

See....... now I think I want an Echo. :eek:

This Damn call adiction. :pissed:

Bret

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
ahhh..the old "win on sunday, sell on monday" perception that has helped the auto industry for years. sorry, but how can you compare a winning contest call to a good hunting call. just like running down to the local chevy store and buying a V6, front wheel drive, Monte Carlo because Jeff Gordon drives a Monte Carlo for NASCAR.

not saying anything bad about Echo Calls. they make some good ones and i know a lot of people that use them. i think their acrylics are probably one of the better sounding acrylic calls i've heard. i do hunt with an Echo freak and he bemoans that his Echo Acrylic Timber is waaay to loud and actually refuses to blow it when the ducks are in tight. i've tried it and find that with the ammount of air volume required to blow it that it is almost impossible for me to make any sort of soft sound out of it at all. but that is just me...and i only played with it for about 2 minutes.

IMHO you can't beat an RNT Short Barrel TImber for soft ducky sounds.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Bret said:
3 world championships in a row is a pretty good indication of a quality product to me. Their "Boss" comp call has an unbeleivable track record in sanctioned contests. I think it is a good representation of their whole line. The guys I hunt with that blow Echo calls sound great, and they sure help kill plenty of ducks. :thumbsup:

See....... now I think I want an Echo. :eek:

This Damn call adiction. :pissed:

Bret
hey, i'll sell you mine. or trade it for an RNT! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have an MVP I would trade for a Boss in a heart beat. I do not want an echo timber at this time. My Rowdy DOA double trouble fits that low to med volume fine.

I don't think I was comparing a comp call to a hunting call. Simply stating that they make good calls. Usually if a company makes a good comp call they make a good hunting call too that is all.

Sometimes the ability to tone down a loud call depends on a callers ability to operate one.

The short barrel is a mean meat call no doubt a Daisy Cutter is even meaner. I do not use one.... the way I put air into a call is not very compatible with a short barrel. There are plenty of good meat calls out there that run easier for me.

swamp puppy .... I think your state champ blows Echo. He sounds real good on an echo timber. Do you know his name?

isn't it interesting how every thread about calls on this site turns into a" It is not as good as a RNT thread."

This guy just asked if anyone else on here liked Echo calls because he loves his. I post up that they have won the worlds three years in a row, Then it turns into this.

My bottom line is...

Echo has one of the best lines of calls out there from comp to meat.

The wonderful thing about this world is that there is a call for everyone.

Bret

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
i do know his name. it is Eric Strand. in fact, Eric and i are aquaintances in that i see him quite often as we tend to hunt the same places. and yes, he does blow an echo call in competition and i am sure he blows one while he hunts. and although i am not sure about this, i'll bet ya a dollar that he doesn't blow his comp call in the duck blind. :thumbsup:

as you stated, there is a call for everyone and i believe that 100%. however, it is simply my opinion that RNT has worked good for me and be sure to give one a try before making any final decisions. whether it's an RNT, an Echo, Haydel, or any of the myriad of other calls out there today..find one that works for you and use it. don't just buy it because some pro caller used it to win a contest. that call(no matter who makes it)..and that calling routine will rarely win you anything in a duck blind.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
hey bret,

i hope i didn't offend you. and don't think i was endoring RNT. i don't even own one, yet. i am just going on my experience and how they perform. from the calls that "I" have blown, the RNT sounds the best. take it for what it's worth to you.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Swamp Puppy....I think I stated Eric sounds great on an echo timber call I never said he blows a comp call in the blind. (Read my post again) I am sure like the rest of us the comp call stays wraped in a diaper under his pillow or something. I am impressed you know who he is though. He is a good caller, and seems like a nice enough guy.
Second everyone knows you wont call many ducks with a main street style rutine or any set rutine for that matter. Mr Obvious says "You have to read the birds, and give them what they want." Parts of a main street rutine do work great for calling ducks. Is that not where it all came from to a certain extent. Even the ringing hail has its place beleive it or not. (Though I must admit I have never used a tripple come-back, and can't see myself doing it in a blind)
third If you have the ability to run a main street rutine it is my assumption that you probably have the abitity to control a call far better that you need to just to simply kill ducks if you don't beleive me start entering contests. It is harder convincing judges than working birds.

no one offended me. I own RNTs and have owned lots of different RNTs over the years. my first comp call was the MVP I Offered in trade. Talk about another call with a great track record. :yes: I have nothing against them at all I think they are great.

Bret

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Bret - sorry, i misread your post. yes, i do believe he does blow an echo timbe when he hunts, and yes, he sounds darn good with it. now, would i recommend that call to a mere mortal based on his abilities? no. i believe you hit the nail on the head when you said that it is much harder to blow a calling routine and impress the judges that it is to kill ducks. it is that exact reason that i suggested the calls that i did.

as for me entering a contest..nah. not my thing. i'm a hunter, not a stage performer.

now, to get back on topic.. Duk, if you are happy with your Echo Open water then you will probably be happy with the timber as well. you may want to check out a few other calls in your search though. the only person who can tell you if it is the right call for you, is you.

:salude:

·
Registered
16 Posts
MY 2 cents!

The echo timber is and for the last 2 seasons my go to call. It will get a lot quieter than the open water.I have 4 echos right now and a new one on the way and the timber is my favorite. If you want an echo closer to the open water but quieter get the new xlt timber it has excelent range from top to bottom.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally I dont care much for RNT calls. I own three of them and they hardly ever get used. I think when a guy ask's about Echo calls he wants to hear about Echo calls not RNT's. I'm not saying RNT's are not a good call just that they don't fit everyones style. My go to hunting call is a Pure Duck everytime because it fits me the best. And surprsingly enough the Echo timber sits right next to it. There are actually alot of other calls I own that I would use before I'll go to my RNT calls.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Ebdawg said:
Personally I dont care much for RNT calls. I own three of them and they hardly ever get used. I think when a guy ask's about Echo calls he wants to hear about Echo calls not RNT's. I'm not saying RNT's are not a good call just that they don't fit everyones style. My go to hunting call is a Pure Duck everytime because it fits me the best. And surprsingly enough the Echo timber sits right next to it. There are actually alot of other calls I own that I would use before I'll go to my RNT calls.
care to sell them? we have a good classified section. you could sell a couple of them and get as many echo's as you would like.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.