Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with Sabot Slugs?

I have a new Mossburg 835, and was wondering what effective range I might have with the gun using 3in sabot slugs?

Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
well you'll want to get a slug barrel first because since the 835 is back bored slugs can potentionaly tumble and destroy your gun or its barrel. also sabot slugs accuracy will be poor without rifle to stabalise them in flight. And the vast majority of sabot slugs provide acceptable accuracy out to 100-175ish yard depending on your abilities as a shooter and if your gun is scoped or not(in my opinion a lot of people aren't accurate past 100yards without one unless they practice often)that being said hornady has a slug out that they claim gives rifle like accuracy. the next shot gun i get will have a slug barrel with rifle sights to go on it when i deer hunt in thick cover.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a rifled barrel, but I am unsure of the twist rate.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You don't say if you are shooting a scope. If you are shooting a scope, you can expect to be able to shoot 150 yards if you practice enough.

My uncle & cousin hunt with shotguns (Remingtons - full rifled barrels) in NH and drive tacks at 100 yards with Remington copper slugs. They love them and won't use anything else.

My suggestion is to buy a couple boxes of cheapies to get the gun zeroed on paper at 100 yards. Use a solid rest/gun holder set-up - you are testing the loads, not your abilities.

Hang a big piece of paper/cardboard - 3 or 4 ft across. Then shoot 3 shot groups of 3, 4, or more different quality sabots. Don't worry about WHERE they hit, just HOW THEY GROUP. You can move the scope zero to where it needs to be.

You want to choose the one that groups the tightest. They are the ones your gun likes the best.

Once you get that down - start practicing with a small caliber rifle shooting off-hand at 50, 75, 100, 150 yards. Do this regularly and drop the change on some slugs to do the same with every now & again. You'll be deadly come season if you start early enough.

I'll be doing this very thing this year. I'm deadly at 100 yards but need to increase my range to 300 for an out of state adventure.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a couple boxes of slugs (both coppers and cheapies). Is it worth practicing with the cheap slugs?

I am pretty good with small caliber rifles, and low recoil guns, but with the 3in slugs, it is quite a change. I have a small frame and only weight about 150lbs. I have been trying to "rock" with the recoil, rather than stand still, as with smaller guns. Is this correct technique?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think that federal loads barnes x sabots if i had to shoot a shot gun that would be the load i would pick. If they perform like the tsx bullets deer will stop in there tracks.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
At 150# a 3 inch 12 ga is some significant fire-power. :eek:

Are you into pain? A 3.5 inch turkey loads generate 75# of pressure - recoil. A 30-06 generates about 20#. So your shells are kicking at about 60 or 70 pounds of pressure.

"Rocking" with the shot is something the body does naturally as you get used to the gun. I don't know if you shoot clays but that would be a good way to get used to the recoil - you'll be so focued on the clay pigeon, the recoil won't seem as bad as trying aim and such.

12 ga guns are beasts off a bench. You'll damage your scope if you try to stop the recoil by say shooting from behind a 4x4 post in the ground or "lead sled" type setup.

There is nothing wrong with practicing with the cheapies. It costs less and you still need to shoot the same way to hit the bullseye.

I don't know how your state regulates things. While it is nice to have a one gun system, if you could go muzzleloader during the shotgun season - you can get a halfway decent muzzleloader for about $150 and shoot 150 yard with that - with much less recoil since you'll be slinging a 250-300 grain projectile vs a 500-600 gr (I'm guessing on the shotgun slug weight) projectile...

·
Registered
187 Posts
And if your really concerned with recoil have you considered going "down" to 2 3/4? Remington 1oz Premier Copper Solid Slugs are pretty deadly on deer(My family swears on them back west). You loose about roughly 100fps compared to the 3" shells but if you shooting up close whats 100fps?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I at least wont admit it :rolleyes:

I tried to pattern for turkey loads once, from a sitting position and that was the last time I tried that.

I am mostly worried about
1. Developing a flinch
2. Staying on target for second follow-up shot.

I don't really mind the recoil otherwise: If instead of a punch in the shoulder, I got a kick in the knee, this wouldn't even be an issue.

I guess my question is really: should I shoot more like you see people shoot 4 bores, or more like when I shoot target? I know the answer is somewhere between, but more clarification is helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Developing a flinch is easy to do - especially when you know that your world is about to get "rocked". That was my problem with my 30-06.

I have to shoot it by REALLY concentrating on the target and trying to watch the bullet hit THRU the scope. Otherwise I will throw it. I started shooting a 30-06 at the age of about 8 and still hate the muzzleblast something horrible 30 years later. I actually shoot a .243 now and love it.

I can never hit anything if I'm thinking about my second shot - you need to fire each shot as if there are no other shots. You will then hit more of what you shoot at and take the time to do it right - this is the same for all things - doubles at clay pigeons, a flock of decoying ducks, or a buck running by.

Iff'n you are real adamant about not flinching, repeated shooting and such. Take up clay pigeon or trap shooting for a while. SERIOUSLY. You will be shooting at moving targets and have the opportunity to shoot two or even three times if you want.

The shooting will get you used to that cannon, how it fits you and such. AND you'll get practice with rapid fire at a moving target.

Once you are comfortable there, the slugs won't be as big of a deal.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to take up skeet later this month, when the club season opens.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong; Target loads are much less powerful than turkey loads, which are significantly less powerful than slugs.

Is this correct?

Thanks

-Thinking I should have gotten a Semi- instead of a pump :sad:

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
No one has discussed the idea of 20bolt eating alot of cheesburgers between now and hunting season. I think if you do it right you could add 20-30 pounds. Slug guns arent for long range so drop down and shoot 2 3/4" loads, put a slip on recoil pad over the one you have now and mix in a light recoiling gun with the slug gun when you practice. I shoot my 45-70's group and then shoot a group with 22-250 right after keeps you from getting flinchy. But I would say sausage and Cheeseburgers.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jrock are you following me :cheers:

I am actually trying to loose weight for climbing, but I am hoping to make 175 yrds with 3in sabots

·
Registered
22 Posts
As stated before, whats the differance in 100 fps between 2 3/4 and 3 inch slugs. The 3 inch fricken hurts. A couple of us shoot the 2 3/4 copper solids from Rem. Love em'. Was also told from a gunsmith that alot of barrels dont like the faster slugs. There isnt enough rifling in the barrel to put on a proper spin. The slower slugs are actually far better groupers the high velocity slugs and the 3 inch ones. (Again we swear by 2 3/4 inch copper solids). But try differant brands and lengths and see what is best for you. Have fun and wish ur shoulder luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts