Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what size trolling motor is right for a 16' jon boat? It will need to be transom mounted. The Minn Kota Endura 50 is rated for boats up to 20' and has 50 lbs of thrust...it may be a bit much for the boat.

I'm not looking to use the motor while hunting, just to mess around in the lakes trying to catch a fish.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It depends on how fast you want to move in the lakes, a 36 lb thrust will do fine, but not as fast as 50 lb.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's definitely cheaper...

By the way, Minn Kota has some sort of special rebate deal going on now until June. I printed a rebate form off their website and should be able to save $30.

·
Registered
504 Posts
That 36 will probably do o.k but i'd go with either a 46 or 54. It won't be too much for the boat and you'll appreciate the extra power in the wind.

THIN MAN

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
id definately go bigger than the 36. you will regret the smaller motor on a windy day or if your in any current. actually i have a 54 lb minkota edge that is fairly new that i'd let go for $275.00. it was used 5 times for only a total of a couple of hours. located in new port if your interested.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
no problem willie, if interested just shoot me a pm. it's just sittin in my garage. it was on my duck boat and i removed it. i bought it brand new at the end of the 06-07 duck season so that i could fish from my duck boat, and shortly there after bought a sea pro and opted to only use the other boat as duck only so that i could leave the blind and such on it all year long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.