Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know the right size trolling motor I need for a 16' jon boat? Not really looking to use it during hunting season, so extra weight is not a problem. Will basically use it to fish with.

The Minn Kota Endura 50 is rated for boats up to 20' and has 50 lbs of thrust. I have a feeling this is too much, but need some help.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
There is no such thing as too much when it comes to trolling motors. Sure the 50 will work but I always tell everyone go with the biggest you can afford when it comes to motors. You dont have to run a bigger motor at full throttle all the time. I have a 17 ft with a 80 lb. thrust, and would have had bigger but didnt want the fourth battery. Three is enough. I think 50 is the biggers 12 volt and 80 is the biggest 24 volt.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
:thumbsup: 50 will be about right, Good power but not too much to drain batt. I got a 40lb I use on my 14' jon boat, Works great.. With I had a 50 or 55 for it tho.

Smack Just a FYI I've seen a 107lb 24 volt Trolling motor at gander MTn in Little rock. (That place sucks BTW) but its the only 24v I've seen of that size, all other i seen that size was 36v

But I would love to have that on my jon boat... You guys think I can get 10mph out of it?

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I think itd be close. My old 70 ran faster than my 80 but it would push my 1756 right around 6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts